The London Zoo is the world's oldest scientific zoo. It was opened in London on 27 April 1828, and was originally intended to be used as a collection for scientific study. It was eventually opened to the public in 1847. Today it has a collection of 673 species of animals, with 19,289 individuals, making it one of the largest collections in the United Kingdom.
|Location||Regent's Park, London, England|
|Land area||36 acres  (0.108 km²)|
|No. of animals||19,289 (2018)|
|No. of species||673 (2018)|
|Website||ZSL London Zoo|
It is managed by the Zoological Society of London (ZSL), established in 1826. It is at the northern edge of Regent's Park, on the boundary line between City of Westminster and Camden (the Regent's Canal runs through it). The Society also has a larger site at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo in Bedfordshire to which the larger animals such as elephants and rhinos have been moved. As well as being the first scientific zoo, ZSL London Zoo also opened the first Reptile house (1849), first public Aquarium (1853), first insect house (1881) and the first children's zoo (1938).
- "ZSL Corporate and Private Events". ZSL. Archived from the original on 9 August 2012. Retrieved 3 March 2008.
- ZSL Inventory 
- "ZSL's History". ZSL. Archived from the original on 28 February 2008. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- "April 27". Today in Science History. Retrieved 5 March 2008. External link in
- "Google Maps". Google. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- "London elephants to join friends at Whipsnade". ZSL. 30 October 2001. Archived from the original on 5 December 2008. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- "Elephants leave London". BBC News. 1 November 2001. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- ZSL Aquarium history  Archived 2013-10-26 at the Wayback Machine
- "Volunteering at London Zoo and Whipsnade Wild Animal Park" (PDF). ZSL. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 April 2008. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- "London Zoo". Good Zoos. Archived from the original on 20 October 2018. Retrieved 5 March 2008. External link in
- ZSL Institute of Zoology 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to London Zoo.|