Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
Martin Edward Dempsey KBE (born March 14, 1952), sometimes known as Marty Dempsey, is a retired United States Army general. He was the 18th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff from October 1, 2011 until September 25, 2015. He was the 37th Chief of Staff of the Army from April 11, 2011 to September 7, 2011. He retired on September 25, 2015.
|Born||March 14, 1952|
Jersey City, New Jersey, U.S.
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1974–2015|
|Commands held||Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff|
Chief of Staff of the United States Army
United States Army Training and Doctrine Command
United States Central Command
Multi-National Security Transition Command – Iraq
1st Armored Division
3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment
|Awards||Defense Distinguished Service Medal (3)|
Army Distinguished Service Medal (6)
Navy Distinguished Service Medal
Air Force Distinguished Service Medal
Coast Guard Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit (3)
Bronze Star Medal (2) with Valor V
He now is a professor at Duke University and as a chairman of USA Basketball.
- ↑ https://fas.org/irp/congress/2011_hr/sasc-nom.pdf
- ↑ By law, 10 USC 152, Dempsey assumed office on October 1.
- ↑ "General Dempsey retires, transitions Joint Chiefs of Staff chair". upi.com. Retrieved January 4, 2017.
- ↑ "Gen. Martin Dempsey Named 2016 Rubenstein Fellow at Duke".
- ↑ "Board". www.usab.com. Retrieved 2019-08-07.