French artist (1869-1954)
(Redirected from Matisse)
Henri Matisse (Le Cateau-Cambrésis, Nord, 31 December 1869 – 3 November 1954) was a French artist known for his use of colour and his original ideas.
He is mainly known as a painter, but he was also a draughtsman, printmaker and sculptor. Matisse was one of the main artists who helped to create modern art early in the 20th century.
- "Matisse created brilliantly coloured canvases structured by colour applied in a variety of brushwork, ranging from thick impasto [thick paint] to flat areas of pure pigment, sometimes accompanied by a sinuous, arabesque-like line. [This was] the first of the avant-garde movements (1905–7), named "Fauvism" by a contemporary art critic, referring to its use of arbitrary combinations of bright colors and energetic brushwork to structure the composition".
Although he was initially called a Fauve (wild beast), he painted many traditional themes. He painted from life, and his work includes many portraits and other figurative subjects. His mastery of the expressive language of form and colour, in work spanning over a half-century, won him recognition as a leading figure in modern art.
Matisse died of a heart attack in Nice, Alpes-Maritimes.
- ↑ "Tate Modern: Matisse Picasso". Tate.org.uk. Archived from the original on 2010-06-01. Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- ↑ Adrian Searle (7 May 2002). "Searle, Adrian, A momentous, tremendous exhibition, The Guardian, Tuesday 7 May 2002". London: Guardian. Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- ↑ "Trachtman, Paul, Matisse & Picasso, Smithsonian, February 2003". Smithsonianmag.com. Archived from the original on 2010-05-08. Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- ↑ "Duchamp's urinal tops art survey". news.bbc.co.uk. December 2004. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Magdalena Dabrowski Department of Nineteenth-Century, Modern, and Contemporary Art, The Metropolitan Museum of Art Source: Henri Matisse (1869–1954) | Thematic Essay | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art Retrieved June 30, 2010
- ↑ Wattenmaker, Richard J.; Distel, Anne, et al. 1993. Great French paintings from the Barnes Foundation. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. p272 ISBN 0-679-40963-7
- Matisse in Artchive Artchive
- 500 hi-res images Henri Matisse: life and work