Matthew Joseph West (born April 25, 1977) is a Christian musician from Nashville, Tennessee. He has released four music albums and is best known for the popular songs "More" and "You Are Everything" or "The Motions". He was nominated for five GMA Dove Awards in 2005; two of those nominations were for his first album titled Happy.
|Birth name||Matthew Joseph West|
|Born||April 25, 1977|
|Origin||Downers Grove, IL, U.S.|
He started out as an independent musician in the late 1990s and released three independent albums before signing a recording agreement with Universal South Records. His first album Happy (2003) won a Dove Award, and the album's radio single "More" was popular on Christian radios; it stayed at the number-one position on radio charts for nine weeks in a row. His second album History (2005) was followed by a 2006 re-release of his independent album titled Sellout. In 2007, he had vocal problems which threatened his career, and was told by doctors to rest his voice by not speaking for two months. West's third album Something to Say was released in January 2008 and also was successful with the number one songs "You Are Everything" and "The Motions".
Matthew West has also written songs for many Christian musicians and bands such as Point of Grace, Mandisa and Natalie Grant, and also mainstream country singers Rascal Flatts and Billy Ray Cyrus.
- "Matthew West Gives Critics and Fans Something to Say". BREATHEcast.com. 2008-01-25. Archived from the original on 2009-06-04. Retrieved 2009-08-25.
- Farias, Andree. "Something to Say > Overview". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-08-25.
- "Hide Lyrics | Joy Williams". MTV.com. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- "Matthew West's You Are Everything Hits Number One". Christian Music Planet. March 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-27.
- "Matthew West's "The Motions" No. 1 at Radio a Third Consecutive Week". Jesus Freak Hideout (Savvy Media). 2009-05-01. Retrieved 2009-05-02.
- Farias, Andree. "Something to Say > Overview". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Matthew West Makes 'History' June 21, 2005". Top40-Charts.com. 2005-06-15. Retrieved 2008-07-11.
- "Matthew West Emerges From Season of Silence With Something To Say". BREATHEcast.com. 2008-01-11. Archived from the original on 2008-05-17. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Matthew West aboard The Polar Express?". Top40-Charts.com. 2004-11-20. Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- "Matthew West's You Are Everything Hits Number One". CCM Magazine. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matthew West.|