Mercury poisoning

poisoning caused by mercury chemicals

Mercury poisoning is a health disturbance caused by high levels of exposure to mercury.

In the environment, with the exception of rare geological provinces, the mercury content is low, but its toxic compounds are very mobile. It should be taken into account that the main source of mercury entering the environment is geological and geochemical processes in the earth's crust, and not human activity.

Thus, anthropogenic pollution of the environment with mercury in the late 90s of the last century accounted for about 40% of the total metal emissions. The remaining 60% was provided by volcanic activity (emissions of Hg vapors with volcanic gases) and seepage of mercury vapor into the atmosphere from the deep layers of the lithosphere.

Over the past two decades, the global production and use of mercury has decreased by almost an order of magnitude, which leads to a further decrease in the proportion of anthropogenic pollution of nature with this metal.

Symptoms of mercury poisoning include pink in the cheeks, fingertips, and toes, swelling, unexplainable sweating, lots of saliva, fast heartbeat, high blood pressure, and hair loss for some people. Mercury exposure happens most often when you eat certain types of fish or via other ways.[1]



ReferencesEdit