Michael Andreas Gielen (20 July 1927 – 8 March 2019) was an Austrian conductor and composer who promoted contemporary music in opera and concert.
Michael Andreas Gielen
20 July 1927
|Died||8 March 2019 (aged 91)|
He first worked in Vienna and was Generalmusikdirektor (GMD) of the Royal Swedish Opera. He conducted world premieres such as György Ligeti's Requièm, Karlheinz Stockhausen's Carré, and Bernd Alois Zimmermann's opera Die Soldaten and his Requiem für einen jungen Dichter. He directed the Frankfurt Opera from 1977 to 1987. During his era, the company became one of the leading operas.
- Schreiber, Wolfgang (8 March 2019). "Tod von Michael Gielen / Die Wahrheitsliebe der Musik". Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- Michael Gielen University of Hamburg
- Michael Andreas Gielen, Music Information Center Austria
- Eckle, Georg Albrecht (19 July 2007). "Der Leuchturm". Der Tagesspiegel (in German). Berlin. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- Koch, Gerhard R. (July 2007). "Anti-Schamane / Michael Gielen zum achtzigsten Geburtstag". neue musikzeitung (in German). Regensburg. Retrieved 9 March 2019.