Myrna Loy (August 2, 1905 – December 14, 1993) was an American movie, television and stage actress. She was known for her roles in The Thin Man, The Best Years of Our Lives, After the Thin Man, Libeled Lady, and in Manhattan Melodrama.
Myrna Adele Williams
August 2, 1905
|Died||December 14, 1993 (aged 88)|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Cause of death||Surgical complications|
|Resting place||Forestvale Cemetery, Helena, Montana|
|Education||Westlake School for Girls|
Venice High School
Arthur Hornblow, Jr.
(m. 1936; div. 1942)
John Hertz, Jr.
(m. 1942; div. 1944)
(m. 1946; div. 1950)
Howland H. Sargeant
(m. 1951; div. 1960)
|Awards||Kennedy Center Lifetime Achievement Award (1988)|
Loy devoted herself to acting after a few minor roles in silent films. She was originally typecast in exotic roles, often as a femme fatale or a woman of Asian descent. Her career prospects improved greatly after her portrayal of Nora Charles in The Thin Man (1934).
Although Loy was never nominated for a competitive Academy Award, in March 1991 she was presented with an Honorary Academy Award.
Loy was born in Helena, Montana. She was raised in Radersburg, Montana. Loy studied at Harvard-Westlake School. Loy died at a hospital in New York City during surgery at the age of 88. She was buried in Forestvale Cemetery in Helena, Montana.
- ↑ "About Myrna Loy" Archived 2009-10-16 at the Wayback Machine, myrnaloycenter.com; retrieved October 3, 2009.
- ↑ Leider, Emily W. 2011. Myrna Loy: the only good girl in Hollywood. Berkeley, California: University of California Press. ISBN 978-0-520-25320-9
- ↑ Curtis, James 2011. Spencer Tracy: a biography. London: Hutchinson, p333. ISBN 978-0-30726-289-9
- ↑ "The presenting of an Honorary Oscar® to Myrna Loy at the 63rd Annual Academy Awards®, March 25, 1991, youtube.com; accessed August 14, 2014.
- ↑ "Results Page". Academy Awards® Database. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved January 2, 2016.
Media related to Myrna Loy at Wikimedia Commons
- Myrna Loy on IMDb
- Myrna Loy at the Internet Broadway Database
- Myrna Loy at the TCM Movie Database
- Myrna Loy at AllMovie
- Myrna Loy at Find a Grave
- Obituary, nytimes.com
- Profile, virtual-history.com