city in Tochigi prefecture, Japan
Nikkō (日光市, Nikkō-shi) is a Japanese city in the mountains of Tochigi Prefecture.
The Shinto shrine of Nikkō Tōshō-gū was completed in 1617. It is the burial place of Tokugawa Ieyasu.
The shrines and temples of Nikkō have been recongized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- ↑ Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Nikkō" Japan Encyclopedia, p. 714.
- ↑ Nussbaum, "Tōshōgū" at p. 989.
- ↑ UNESCO, "Shrines and Temples of Nikkō"; retrieved 2012-9-10.
Media related to Nikko, Tochigi at Wikimedia Commons
- Nikkō City website Archived 2006-12-02 at the Wayback Machine in English
- Shrines and Temples of Nikkō Archived 2007-12-26 at the Wayback Machine