Notre Dame College, Dhaka
Notre Dame College (Bengali: নটর ডেম কলেজ) is a Catholic higher secondary school[a] as well as a degree college, in Dhaka. A society of priests named Congregation of Holy Cross started it in 1949. According to the result of HSC exam, it is one of the best colleges of Bangladesh.
নটর ডেম কলেজ, ঢাকা
|St. Gregory's College|
Diligite Lumen Sapientiae
Motto in English
|Love the light of wisdom|
|Type||Higher secondary school, university-affiliated college|
|Catholic Church (Congregation of Holy Cross)|
|Principal||Fr. Hemonto Pius Rozario CSC (2012–present)|
|Vice-principal||Leonard Sankar Rozario|
|Students||6400 (As of 2019[update])|
Notre Dame College was first established at Luxmibazar of Old Dhaka in November, 1949 with the name "St. Gregory College". In 1954-55, the institution moved to Arambagh, Motijheel with the present name – "Notre Dame", referring to Mary or Maryam, mother of Jesus Christ.
|Father Harrington Building||1955||It is a 3-story building. Valerian Gracias (Cardinal of Bombay) laid its foundation stone on 17 January 1954.|
|Father Martin Building||1960||It is a 4-story residential building. There is an auditorium on its ground floor.|
|Mathis House||1964||It was built as a house for the priests in 1964. In 1972, Christo Dorshan Seminary was established here.|
|Archbishop Ganguli Building||1997||It is a 6 stored academic building.|
|Father Timm Building||2016||It is a 6-story academic building.|
|Father Peixotto Building||2019||It is a 6-story building. Its ground floor is used as a canteen.|
The college is administrated by a governing body, led by the archbishop of Dhaka.
The college's principal is always a priest of the Congregation of Holy Cross. The first principal was The Rev. John J. Harrington and the current principal is The Rev. Hemanto Pius Rozario. Since its establishment, ten priests have served as the principal of the college:
- John J. Harrington (1949—1954)
- James L. Martin (1954—1960)
- Theotonius Amal Ganguly (March 1960—October 1960)
- William Graham (1960—1967)
- John Vanden Bossche (1967—1969)
- Richard William Timm (1970—1971)
- Ambrose Wheeler (1971—1976)
- Joseph S. Peixotto (1976—1998)
- Benjamin Costa (1998—2012)
- Hemanto Pius Rozario (2012—present)
- "নটর ডেম কলেজের নতুন অধ্যক্ষ নিয়োগ" [New Principal Appointed in Notre Dame College]. Daily Sangram (in Bengali). 13 December 2012. Archived from the original on 16 July 2020. Retrieved 14 August 2020.
- "Notre Dame College, Dhaka - Banglapedia". en.banglapedia.org. Retrieved 2020-03-31.
- নবীনবরণ ও ছাত্র-অভিভাবক নির্দেশিকা (in Bengali). Notre Dame College. 2014. p. 20.
- "Notre Dame College (Dhaka)". Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- "Seminary and Novitiates of Dhaka". Catholic Bishops' Conference of Bangladesh. Retrieved 2020-12-03.
- Rich, Dan. "Rev. John J. Harrington CSC". ingenweb.org. Retrieved 2020-12-03.
- "নটর ডেম কলেজের প্রথম বাংলাদেশি অধ্যক্ষ টি এ গাঙ্গুলীর গল্প". Prothom Alo (in Bengali). Retrieved 2020-12-03.
- "Rev. John V. VandenBossche, C.S.C." Holy Cross USA. 2014-11-09. Retrieved 2020-12-03.
- "Timm, Richard William". Ramon Magsaysay Award. Retrieved 4 December 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Notre Dame College, Dhaka.|