genus of plants
Nymphaea is a genus of aquatic plants in the family Nymphaeaceae. There are about 50 species in the genus, which is widely distributed. The common name, shared with some other genera in the same family, is water-lily or waterlily.
|European white water-lily (Nymphaea alba)|
Many species are cultivated as ornamental plants, and many cultivars have been bred.
- Nymphaea alba - White water-rose (National flower of Kazakhstan)
- Nymphaea amazonica - Victorian water-lily (National flower of Guyana)
- Nymphaea lotus - White water-lily (National flower of Egypt)
- Nymphaea nouchali
- Nymphaea pubescens - Pink water-lily (National flower of Bangladesh)
- Nymphaea stellata - Blue water-lily (National flower of Sri Lanka)