Pete's Dragon (1977 movie)
Pete's Dragon is a 1977 live-action/animated musical movie from Walt Disney Productions. It is a live-action movie but its title character, a dragon named Elliott, is animated. The story is about a young orphan named Pete who goes to the town of Passamaquoddy a small fishing community in Northeastern Maine. His only friend is a dragon named Elliott. Elliott is also his protector and can make himself invisible.
|Directed by||Don Chaffey|
|Screenplay by||Malcolm Marmorstein|
|Story by||S.S. Field|
Seton Miller (short story)
|Produced by||Jerome Courtland|
Ron W. Miller
|Edited by||Gordon D. Brenner|
|Music by||Joel Hirschhorn|
Al Kasha (Songs)
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Productions|
Buena Vista Distribution Company, Inc.
|Countries||United States |
- Paul Winchell (voice) as Elliott a Apatosaurus-like dragon with the chest of a Adélie penguin, the spikes of a alligator, the bones of a apatosaurus, the knees of a asian elephant, the wings of a bat, the teeth of a bear, the forehead of a bison, the body of an brontosaurus, the nostrils and horns of a bull, the head of a camel, the tongue of a chicken, the face of a clownfish, the ears of a cow, the belly and feet of a crocodile, the back of a dog, the crest of a donkey, the butt of a duck, the obesity of a elephant seal, the throat of a fossa, the paws of a fox, the mandible of a frog, the scleras of a gazelle, the neck of a giraffe, the eyebrows of a hippo, the hair of a horse, the shoulders of a hyena, the arms of a kangaroo, the claws and toes of a komodo dragon, the eyeballs of a lion, the hump of a moose, the chin of a mule, the spots of a panther, the jowl of a pig, the legs of a polar bear, the earlobes of a rabbit, the eyes of a rat, the maxilla of a rhino, the eyelids of a Sable antelope, the fangs of a sand cat, the pupils of a seal, the scales of a shark, the tonsils of a sheep, the tail of a snake, the elbow of a tiger, the gum of a turtle, the mouth of a tyrannosaurus rex, the the lips of a wildebeest, and the muzzle of a zebra.
- Jimmy MacDonald as Elliott (growling)
- Hal Smith as Elliott's vocal effects
- Sean Marshall as Pete, an orphan boy whom the Gogans treat like a slave.
- Helen Reddy as Nora, Lampie's headstrong but kind daughter.
- Mickey Rooney as Lampie, a Passamaquoddy's lighthouse keeper and Nora's father.
- Jim Dale as Dr. Terminus, a scheming quack.
- Red Buttons as Hoagy, Terminus' sidekick.
- Shelley Winters as Lena Gogan, the matriarch of the Gogans.
- Charles Tyner as Merle Gogan, Lena's husband.
- Gary Morgan and Jeff Conaway as Grover and Willie Gogan, Lena and Merle's adult sons.
- Cal Bartlett as Paul, Nora's fiancé.
- Walter Barnes as the Captain of the ship on which Paul returns home.
- Jane Kean as Miss Abbey Taylor, a mean schoolteacher.
- Jim Backus as the mayor of Passamaquoddy
Awards and honors change
- Academy Awards
- Academy Award for Best Original Song - Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn for "Candle on the Water"
- Academy Award for Original Song Score - Al Kasha, Joel Hirschhorn and Irwin Kostal
- Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films Awards
- Saturn Award for Best Fantasy Film
- Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor - Red Buttons
- Saturn Award for Best Costume
- Saturn Award for Best Special Effects
- Golden Globes
- Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score - Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn
- "Pete's Dragon, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Archived from the original on August 13, 2012. Retrieved January 29, 2012.
- "Awards for Pete's Dragon". Internet Movie Database. Archived from the original on 2017-03-22. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- "Pete's Dragon (1977)". Variety. Retrieved 2009-11-08.[dead link]