Pope Pius VI
pope of the Catholic Church from 1775 to 1799
|Papacy began||215 February, 1775|
|Papacy ended||29 August 1799|
|Predecessor||Pope Clement IV|
|Successor||Pope Pius VII|
|Birth name||Giovanni Angelo Braschi|
|Born||25 December, 1717|
|Died||29 August 1799|
|Other popes named Pius|
Cardinal Braschi was elected pope in 1775; and he chose to be called Pius VI.
Pope Pius was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- Chisholm, Hugh (1911). Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information. University Press. pp. 685–686.
- Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. C. Knight. 1840. pp. 199–201.
- "Pope Pius VI," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-27.
Media related to Pius VI at Wikimedia Commons
|Wikisource has original writing related to this article:|
- . Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Pius VI
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Braschi