Pope Pius VIII
Pope Pius VIII (Latin: Pius Octavus; 20 November 1761 – 30 November 1830), born Francesco Saverio Castiglioni was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 254th Pope from 1829 and 1830.
|Papacy began||31 March 1829|
|Papacy ended||30 November 1830|
|Predecessor||Pope Leo XII|
|Successor||Pope Gregory XVI|
|Birth name||Francesco Saverio Castiglioni|
|Born||20 November 1761|
|Died||30 November 1830(aged 69)|
|Other popes named Pius|
Cardinal Castiglioni was elected Pope 1829; and his reign lasted only 20 months.
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- Chisholm, Hugh (1911). Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information. University Press. p. 687.
- "Pope Pius VIII", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-02.
- Louis-Marie de Lahaye Cormenin (vicomte de) (1859). A Complete History of the Popes of Rome: From Saint Peter, the First Bishop, to Pius the Ninth, the Present Pope, Including the History of Saints, Martyrs, Fathers, of the Church, Religious Orders, Cardinals, Inquisitions, Schisms, and the Great Reformers. J.B. Smith. p. 429.
Media related to Pius VIII at Wikimedia Commons
|Wikisource has original writing related to this article:|
- . Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Pius VIII
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Castiglioni