small cetacean of the family Phocoenidae
Porpoises are mammals that live in the ocean. They are in the order Cetacea. They form the family Phocoenidae. There are six species of porpoise.
Temporal range: Mid Miocene to Recent
|Phocoena phocoena, Harbour porpoise at the Fjord & Bæltcentret in Denmark|
- Family Phocoenidae:
- Finless porpoise (Neophocaena phocaenoides)
- Vaquita (Phocoena sinus)
- Harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena)
- Burmeister's porpoise (Phocoena spinipinnis)
- Spectacled porpoise (Phocoena dioptrica)
- Dall's porpoise (Phocoenoides dalli)
Porpoises look much like dolphins, but they are different in some ways: They are smaller and more stout. They have spade-shaped teeth, rounded heads, blunt jaws, and triangular dorsal fins.