Augustine of Hippo
After growing up, he began to learn and write a lot about Christianity, and became a bishop in Hippo Regius, which was in modern-day Annaba, Algeria. He was highly influenced by archbishop Ambrose. Later in life, Augustine moved to Italy, and over the next years his religious ideology grew stronger, and he became a teacher.
- On Christian Doctrine, wrt397-426
- Confessions, 397-398
- The City of God, begun ca. 413, finished 426
- On the Trinity, 400-416
- Retractions: At the end of his life (ca. 426-428) Augustine revisited his previous works in chronological order and suggested what he would have said differently in a work titled the "Retractions", giving the reader a rare picture of the development of a writer and his final thoughts.
- The Literal Meaning of Genesis
- On Free Choice of the Will
- aka The Story of Philosophy, Dorling Kindersley Publishing, 2001, ISBN 0-7894-7994-X
- (subtitled on cover: The Essential Guide to the History of Western Philosophy)
- g Saint Augustine, pages 30, 144; City of God 51, 52, 53 and The Confessions 50, 51, 52
- - additional in the Dictionary of the History of Ideas for Saint Augustine and Neo-Platonism Archived 2007-08-07 at the Wayback Machine
- Brown, Peter. Augustine of Hippo. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1967. ISBN 0-520-00186-9
- Gareth B. Matthews. Augustine. Blackwell, 2005. ISBN 0-631-23348-2
- O'Donnell, James J. Augustine: A New Biography. New York: HarperCollins, 2005. ISBN 0-06-053537-7
- Ruickbie, Leo. Witchcraft Out of the Shadows. London: Robert Hale, 2004. ISBN 0-7090-7567-7, pp. 57–8.
- Tanquerey, Adolphe. The Spiritual Life: A Treatise on Ascetical and Mystical Theology. Reprinted Ed. (original 1930). Rockford, IL: Tan Books, 2000. ISBN 0-89555-659-6, p. 37.
- von Heyking, John. Augustine and Politics as Longing in the World. Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 2001. ISBN 0-8262-1349-9
- Orbis Augustinianus sive conventuum O. Erem. S. A. chorographica et topographica descriptio Archived 2005-03-21 at the Wayback Machine Augustino Lubin, Paris, 1659, 1671, 1672.
- Zumkeller O.S.A.,Adolar (1986). Augustine's ideal of Religious life. Fordham University Press, New York.
- Zumkeller O.S.A.,Adolar (1987). Augustine's Rule. Augustinian Press, Villanova, Pennsylvania U.S.A.
- René Pottier. Saint Augustin le Berbère. Fernand Lanore, 2006. ISBN 2-85157-282-2
- Fitzgerald, Allan D., ed. (1999). Augustine through the Ages: An Encyclopedia. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. ISBN 0-8028-3843-X
- Plumer, Eric Antone (2003). Augustine's Commentary on Galatians. Oxford [England] ; New York : Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-924439-1 ISBN 978-0-19-924439-3 Preview from Google
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Augustine of Hippo|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Augustinus.|
- University of Pennsylvania, Augustine of Hippo - Texts, translations, introductions, commentaries (Webarchive), 2006-10-22
- EarlyChurch.org.uk Extensive bibliography and on-line articles.
- Life of St. Augustine of Hippo, from the Catholic Encyclopedia
- Augstine of Hippo Archived 2007-10-13 at the Wayback Machine, at Centropian
- Texts by Augustine:
- Works by Augustine of Hippo at Project Gutenberg
- In Latin, at The Latin Library: books and letters by Augustine
- At "Christian Classics Ethereal Library" Translations of several works by Augustine, incl. introductions
- Sant'Agostino - Vita, Scritti, Pensiero, Santità, Attualità Full Latin and Italian text resource
- At "IntraText Digital Library": Works by Augustine in several languages, with concordance and frequency list
- St. Augustine's Multilingual Opera Omnia
- Texts on Augustine:
- Augustine and 'other Catholics' Archived 2014-11-01 at the Wayback Machine
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry
- "Augustine's Concept of Freedom: The Dynamic of Sin and Grace" from Grace Incarnate (1989) Archived 2006-08-29 at the Wayback Machine
- Augustine's Heavenly City and the Western Mind Pgs 22-24
- On Music
- On Original Sin ask Dan Santos
- Links to the Augustinian Order
- Audio books
- Augustine and Orthodoxy
- Blessed Augustine of Hippo: His Place in the Orthodox Church
- St Augustine the Bishop of Hippo Orthodox icon and synaxarion