president of Barbados
Dame Sandra Prunella Mason, FB GCMG DA KC (born 17 January 1949) is a Barbadian politician. She is the 1st and current President of Barbados since 2021. In January 2018, she became the Governor-General of Barbados.
|1st President of Barbados|
|Assumed office |
30 November 2021
|Prime Minister||Mia Mottley|
|Preceded by||Position established|
Elizabeth II (as Queen of Barbados)
|8th Governor-General of Barbados|
8 January 2018 – 30 November 2021
|Prime Minister||Freundel Stuart|
|Preceded by||Philip Greaves (acting)|
|Succeeded by||Position abolished|
Sandra Prunella Mason
17 January 1949
Saint Philip, Barbados
|Education||University of the West Indies, Cave Hill (LLB)|
Hugh Wooding Law School (LEC)
In October 2021, she was elected the 1st President of Barbados and she took her oath of office on 30 November 2021 when the monarchy is abolished.
She was the first woman admitted to the Bar in Barbados. She was an Ambassador from Barbados, and was the first woman to serve on the Barbados Court of Appeals.
- ↑ "New G-G named". Barbados Advocate. 2017-12-28. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- ↑ "Sandra Mason to be new Governor General". www.nationnews.com. 2017-12-27. Retrieved 2022-03-26.
- ↑ "Congrats to the new GG". www.nationnews.com. 29 December 2017. Archived from the original on 2019-07-11. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- ↑ "New Governor General Dame Sandra Mason installed". www.nationnews.com. 8 January 2018. Archived from the original on 2019-07-26. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- ↑ "Governor General Dame Sandra named first president-elect". Loop Barbados. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- ↑ Deane, Sandy (2017-12-27). "Justice Sandra Mason is Barbados' New GG". Barbados Today. Archived from the original on 2017-12-28. Retrieved 2017-12-28.