Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting
The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was a school shooting which happened in Connecticut, United States on December 14, 2012. Twenty-eight people were killed in the shooting, including many children and teachers and the perpetrator's mother at home.
|Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting|
|Location||Sandy Hook Elementary School|
Newtown, Connecticut, U.S.
|Date||December 14, 2012 |
9:35 – 9:40 a.m. EST (UTC−05:00)
|Target||Students and staff at Sandy Hook Elementary School|
|School shooting, murder–suicide, matricide, spree shooting|
|Deaths||28 (27 at the school including the perpetrator, and the perpetrator's mother at home)|
Adam Peter Lanza
April 22, 1992
|Died||December 14, 2012 (aged 20)|
|Other names||The Sandy Hook shooter|
|Victims||27 killed (including perpetrator), 2 attempted|
|Location(s)||Newtown, Connecticut, U.S.|
The shooter was Adam Lanza. He shot and killed his mother. He then went to Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, and killed twenty children and six staff members as well as injuring two others. He committed suicide before he could be arrested by the Connecticut State Police.
- Nancy Lanza, 52, (his mother; shot four times in the head)
- Rachel D'Avino, 29, (teacher's aide)
- Dawn Hochsprung, 47, (principal)
- Anne Marie Murphy, 52, (teacher's aide)
- Lauren Rousseau, 30, (teacher)
- Mary Sherlach, 56, (school psychologist)
- Victoria Leigh Soto, 27, (teacher)
- Charlotte Bacon, 6 (student)
- Daniel Barden, 7 (student)
- Olivia Engel, 6 (student)
- Josephine Gay, 7 (student)
- Dylan Hockley, 6 (student)
- Madeleine Hsu, 6 (student)
- Catherine Hubbard, 6 (student)
- Chase Kowalski, 7 (student)
- Jesse Lewis, 6 (student)
- Ana Márquez-Greene, 6 (student)
- James Mattioli, 6 (student)
- Grace McDonnell, 7 (student)
- Emilie Parker, 6 (student)
- Jack Pinto, 6 (student)
- Noah Pozner, 6 (student)
- Caroline Previdi, 6 (student)
- Jessica Rekos, 6 (student)
- Avielle Richman, 6 (student)
- Benjamin Wheeler, 6 (student)
- Allison Wyatt, 6 (student)
- Natalie Hammond, 40, (lead teacher)
- Deborah Pisan
- Miguel Llanos (December 14, 2012). "Authorities ID gunman who killed 27 in elementary school massacre". NBC News. Associated Press. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
- Winter, Tom; Riordan Seville, Lisa (25 November 2013). "Newtown report: Shooter Adam Lanza had no clear motive, was obsessed with Columbine". NBC News. Archived from the original on October 24, 2020. Retrieved 6 August 2020.
- Richinick, Michele (25 November 2013). "'No conclusive motive' in Newtown shootings, report says". MSNBC. Archived from the original on May 29, 2016. Retrieved 6 August 2020.
- Barron, James (December 14, 2012). "Nation Reels After Gunman Massacres 20 Children at School in Connecticut". New York Times. Retrieved December 17, 2012.