city in Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan
(Redirected from Sasebo, Nagasaki)
Sasebo (佐世保市, Sasebo-shi) is a Japanese city in Nagasaki Prefecture on the island of Kyushu.
It has been recognized as a special city since 2001.
In 1866, Sasebo was established as a major port for the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN).
Sasebo became an American Naval base in 1945.
Today it is the center of a military district of the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (海上自衛隊, Kaijō Jieitai) or JMSDF.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Saga no Ran" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 826.
- ↑ Jacobs, A.J. "Japan's Evolving Nested Municipal Hierarchy: The Race for Local Power in the 2000s," Urban Studies Research (2011), Table 3; retrieved 2012-12-18.
- ↑ Harvard University, Fairbanks Center for Chinese Studies Archived 2012-10-14 at the Wayback Machine, "Recent Developments in China's Naval Modernization and Foreign Policy Activism," Archived 2013-05-07 at the Wayback Machine April 2011; retrieved 2011-12-11.
Media related to Sasebo, Nagasaki at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website (in Japanese)
- Sasebo Tourist Information site Archived 2012-10-17 at the Wayback Machine in English