Scared Shrekless is a television Halloween special. It was first shown on the American television network NBC on Thursday, October 28, 2010. The special is once again based on the characters from the Shrek franchise. While some of the actors reprised their roles, others don't return (such as Dean Edwards, who is the new voice of Donkey).
|Directed by||Gary Trousdale|
|Produced by||Karen Foster|
|Written by||Gary Trousdale|
|Music by||Halli Cauthery|
|Production company||DreamWorks Animation|
Pacific Data Images
|Running time||24 minutes|
It is Halloween night, and Shrek's family is celebrating by scaring trick-or-treaters. Inside their house, Donkey, Pinocchio, The Three Little Pigs, Wolf and Gingy fail to scare the ogres, and Shrek claims that nothing can scare an ogre because ogres are "the kings of Halloween". To prove him wrong, Donkey proposes a challenge to see who can tell the scariest story, but Shrek amps it up by choosing to hold their contest in Lord Farquaad's abandoned castle, Duloc. Gingy starts first with a story about his girlfriend dumping him and asking the muffin man for a new girlfriend, made with loads of sugar, thus giving her the name Sugar as revealed in the credits. Gingy becomes happy with her but ends up becoming freaked out of all her love for him. After running away and pushing her in a big container of batter, he finally becomes free of her and decides to go home, but the batter that Sugar was dropped in ended up creating thousands of zombie-like versions of herself, surrounding Gingy and eating him. The Three Little Pigs get scared and run away with Wolf who claims they are his ride. Shrek comments on the falsehood of Gingy's "true" story, saying that he cannot be here if he was eaten, and he runs off as well.
Next, Donkey and Puss tell a story about them taking shelter from a thunderstorm at Boot's Motel. It starts off well but they end up fighting over whose story is better and generally making each other look bad. Donkey gets Pinocchio to spray Puss with water, making him run away. At last, Shrek tells the final story about him as a baby-sitter trying to sort out a crazed, seemingly possessed, Pinocchio, but after continuously getting beaten up by the living puppet, Shrek tries to catch him but Pincocchio jumps out of the window. After landing on the streets, a talking cricket pops out of Pinocchio's head, claiming to be his conscience and the voice in his head making him go crazy, only to be squashed under Pinocchio's foot.
Pinocchio denies that the story is true, but when Shrek shows him a normal cricket, he screams and runs out. Now alone, Donkey and Shrek hear the wind moving about, and a walking suit of armour calling Donkey's name. Scared out of his wits, Donkey admits defeat and runs away. Fiona reveals it was her and the babies who planned the ghost act and then they, along with Shrek, celebrate by egging the seven dwarves.
- Mike Myers as Shrek
- Dean Edwards as Donkey
- Cameron Diaz as Fiona
- Antonio Banderas as Puss in Boots
- Cody Cameron as Pinocchio/The Three Little Pigs
- Conrad Vernon as Gingerbread Man/Muffin Man
- Christopher Knights as The Three Blind Mice
- Aron Warner as Big Bad Wolf
- Kristen Schaal as Sugar
- Patty Cornell and Susan Fitzer as Creepy Clockwork Chorus
- Sean Bishop as Geppetto/Prince Charming/The Cricket/Dwarves/Waffle
- Miles Christopher Bakshi and Nina Zoe Bakshi as Ogre Babies (Felicia, Farkle and Fergus)
- Louis Gabriel Basso III as Teenager #1
- Devon Werkheiser as Teenager #2 and Teenager #3
- Frank Welker as Animals' vocal effects (uncredited)
Scared Shrekless got its DVD release on September 13, 2011 and a double DVD release on September 27, 2011, along with Monsters vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins from Outer Space.
- Hibberd, James (September 6, 2010). "NBC orders 'Shrek,' 'Kung Fu Panda' specials". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 8, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Scared Shrekless (2010)". Amazon. Retrieved August 27, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Scared Shrekless & Monsters Vs Pumpkins Halloween". Amazon. Retrieved August 27, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Scared Shrekless and Monsters vs Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins from Outer Space Halloween Party Double Pack". Starpulse.com. August 22, 2011. Retrieved August 27, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)