Something in the Way
"Something in the Way" is a song by American rock band Nirvana, written by Kurt Cobain. It is the 12th song on their second album, Nevermind, released in September 1991. It is the final listed song on the album, although most copies of Nevermind also feature the hidden track "Endless, Nameless".
|"Something in the Way"|
|Song by Nirvana|
|from the album Nevermind|
|Studio||Sound City, Van Nuys and Devonshire, North Hollywood|
|Length||3:52 (20:37 with "Endless, Nameless")|
"Something in the Way" was said to be based on a time when Cobain was homeless and slept underneath a bridge, close to his childhood home in Aberdeen, Washington. While Cobain did run away from home as a teenager, his sisters and biographer do not believe he actually slept under it.
In August 2020, the song charted for the first time after appearing in the first trailer for the 2022 superhero movie The Batman, peaking at number two on Billboard's US Rock Digital Songs Sales chart, and number five on their US Alternative Digital Songs Sales charts. When the movie came out in March 2022, Spotify said there was a 1200% increase in streams of the song.
- ↑ Crisafulli, Chuck (1996). Nirvana, The Stories Behind the Songs. pp. 54–55. ISBN 0-7119-5809-2.
- ↑ Cross, Charles R (2001). Heavier Than Heaven. ISBN 9780786865055.
- ↑ "Nirvana - Rock Digital Songs Sales". billboard.com. Retrieved September 1, 2020.
- ↑ "Nirvana - Alternative Digital Songs Sales". billboard.com. Retrieved September 1, 2020.
- ↑ Gonzalez, Umberto (24 August 2020). "'The Batman': Nirvana Song Used in Trailer Becomes Best Seller on Itunes and Amazon". The Wrap. Retrieved 25 August 2020.
- ↑ Northrup, Ryan (9 March 2022). "The Batman Nirvana Song Sees Massive Streaming Increase". Screen Rant. Retrieved 10 March 2022.