Ralph Hubert Barger (October 8, 1938 – June 29, 2022), better known as Sonny Barger, was an American outlaw biker, author and actor. He was a founding member of the Oakland, California chapter of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club in 1957. He wrote five books, and appeared on television and movies. He was born in Modesto, California. He played the role of Lenny "The Pimp" Janowitz in the television series Sons of Anarchy.
Ralph Hubert Barger, Jr.
October 8, 1938
Modesto, California, U.S.
|Died||June 29, 2022 (aged 83)|
Livermore, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Outlaw biker, author, actor|
|Known for||Founding member, Hells Angels Oakland chapter|
|Spouse(s)||Zorana (2005–2022; his death)|
|Allegiance||Hells Angels MC (1957–2022)|
|Conviction(s)||Possession of narcotics with intent to distribute (1973)|
Conspiracy to transport and receive explosives in interstate commerce with intent to kill and damage buildings (1988)
|Criminal penalty||10 years-to-life imprisonment (1973)|
4 years imprisonment (1989)
- Sonny Barger, Face of the Hells Angels, Dies at 83 Daniel Victor, The New York Times (June 30, 2022) Archived June 30, 2022, at the Wayback Machine
- Newton-Matza, Mitchell (March 26, 2014). Disasters and Tragic Events: An Encyclopedia of Catastrophes in American History [2 volumes]. ISBN 9781610691666.
- Sonny Barger, famous Hells Angel and bestselling author, dead at 83 of cancer
- "Authorities Crack Down on 'Angels'". Bangor Daily News. Associated Press. June 14, 1979. Retrieved December 27, 2011.
- "Hells Angels Leader Leaves Jail". The New York Times. Associated Press. August 2, 1980. Retrieved December 27, 2011.
- Bryant, Nick (October 5, 2000). ""Hell's Angel" interview (audio)". Salon.com. Archived from the original on July 18, 2007.
- Martin, Phillip (December 2, 1992). "Look Homeward Angelcycle Icon Sonny Barger Kick-Starts Life as a Free Man by Violating Parole". Phoenix New Times. Archived from the original on April 5, 2015. Retrieved December 28, 2011.
- Stillman, Deanne (July 10, 2000). "Hell's author; Legendary bad-ass biker Sonny Barger and his roaring Harley are burnin' up the highways on a ... uh ... book tour?". Salon.com.