city in and county seat of Jefferson County, Ohio, United States
Steubenville is a city in and the county seat of Jefferson County in the state of Ohio in the United States. The city is next to the Ohio River. 18,659 people lived there in the year 2010.
A fort used to be located where the city is. The fort was called Fort Steuben. It was there in 1786. The fort was named after Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben.
Steubenville has a nickname. It is the "City of Murals". There are over 25 different murals around the city. Franciscan University of Steubenville and Eastern Gateway Community College are located in the city.
Famous people from SteubenvilleEdit
- Dean Martin (1917-1995) - singer and actor
- Albert Newsam (1809-1864) - artist
- Edwin M. Stanton (1814-1869) - United States Attorney General
- Traci Lords (born 1968) - actress
- Richard Timberlake (1922-2020) - economist
- Big Bully Busick (1954-2018) - professional wrestler
- ↑ Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) details for Steubenville, Ohio; United States Geological Survey (USGS); July 12, 1979.
- ↑ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- ↑ "Historic Fort Steuben".
- ↑ City of Steubenville
- ↑ "About Eastern Gateway". Eastern Gateway Community College.
- ↑ "Pennsylvania Institution for the Deaf and Dumb". The Library Company of Philadelphia. World Digital Library. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- ↑ "Edwin M. Stanton (1814–1869)". The Lincoln Institute. Archived from the original on May 14, 2012. Retrieved December 18, 2010.