Strawberry Shortcake (2003 TV series)
Strawberry Shortcake is an direct-to-video animated television series. It was made by Nelvana. The series is based on the franchise of the same name. It was first broadcast in March 2003. The series has 45 episodes. There is also one short and one movie. Parts of the series havee been broadcast by Nickelodeon, and Nicktoons. The series has also been broadcast in syndication.
|Genre||Animated series, E/I|
|Created by||Those Characters From Cleveland|
|Developed by||Nickelodeon Viacom Media Networks|
|Written by||Kent Osborne|
|Directed by||Kent Osborne|
|Creative director(s)||Bob Boyle|
|Theme music composer||Andy Street, Judy Rothman Rofe|
|Opening theme||Straw Buh-buh-buh-buh-berry Shortcake by Peter Lurye (uncredited)|
Performed by Sandy Howell (Raye) (uncredited)
|Ending theme||Straw Buh-buh-buh-buh-berry Shortcake (Instrumental)|
Judy Rothman Rofe
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||15|
|No. of episodes||235 (40 segments)  (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Michael Hirsh|
|Running time||45 Minutes|
|Production company(s)||Nelvana Limited|
DIC Entertainment Corporation[a]
|Distributor||ViacomCBS Domestic Media Networks/MTV Networks (U.S.)|
Nelvana International (Worldwide)
|Original network||TVOKids (Canada) |
Nickelodeon (United States)
|Audio format||Stereo sound|
|Original release||March 11, 2003 –|
December 11, 2016
|Preceded by||1980s Strawberry Shortcake specials|
|Followed by||Strawberry Shortcake’s Berry Bitty Adventures (2010)|
Nickelodeon began releasing the series direct-to-video in the United States in March 2003. The first few episodes were released on both TV DVD and VHS. Some of these were also bundled with toys. Later episodes are DVD-only. They are also available on VideoCD in South-East Asia and in some other places. The first four episodes have only one story. They were twice the length of other episodes.
From Season 2 onwards, the DVDs and VHS's are "compilations". In them, Strawberry tells the story of her adventures using her "remembering book". In Season 4, the stories were shown as simple flashbacks.
22 Volumes have been released for the series in total. One of these includes the movie.
- Nickelodeon and Noggin (US)
- TVO (Canada)
- ATV (Turkey)
- Disney Channel (UK & Ireland)
- EBS (Korea)
- Nick Jr (Germany)
- Playhouse Disney (Latin America)
- Cartoon Network (Russia)
- ↑ Animation outsourced to Hong Ying Universe Company Limited.
- ↑ Season 1 featured 4 single 45-minute episodes (which when aired on TV, air as two part series or are shortened to 22 minutes, which don't apply here), while Seasons 2-4 featured two related 22-minute segments which were shown in a "Compilation" format (which are also separated when aired on TV). A promotional 5-minute short episode was also made, but doesn't count as an official episode.
- ↑ The segments, when separated, air for 22 Minutes.
- ↑ The date listed is when the final episode: "Lights... Camera..." aired in Asia. In the show's home country of the United States, the final DVD for the series - Berry Brick Road, containing the last two episodes, was not released until March 6, 2012. Season 4 never aired on television in the United States