Publius (or Gaius) Cornelius Tacitus (ca. 56 – ca. 117) was a senator and a historian of the Roman Empire. The surviving parts of his two major works—the Annals and the Histories—report about the reigns of the Roman Emperors Tiberius, Claudius, Nero, Galba, Otho, Vitellius, and Vespasian.
|Occupation||Senator, consul, governor, historian|
|Subject||History, biography, oratory|
|Literary movement||Silver Age of Latin|
Experts believe Tacitus wrote these five works that have survived. The dates are approximate:
- Haynes, Holly. The History of Make-Believe: Tacitus on imperial Rome (Berkeley, Calif.; London: University of California Press, 2003) ISBN 0-520-23650-5
- Syme, Ronald. Tacitus, Volumes 1 and 2. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1958) (reprinted in 1985 by the same publisher, with the ISBN 0-19-814327-3) is the definitive study of his life and works.
- Syme, Ronald. Ten Studies in Tacitus. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1970) ISBN 0-19-814358-3
- Talbert, R.J.A. "Tacitus and the Senatus Consultum de Cn. Pisone patre". The American Journal of Philology, Vol. 120, No. 1 (1999), pp. 89–97.
- Woodman, Anthony John. Tacitus Reviewed (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998) ISBN 0-19-815258-2
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Tacitus|
|Wikisource has original writing related to this article:|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gaius Cornelius Tacitus.|
- Bibliography on Tacitus Archived 2006-01-18 at the Wayback Machine (from Rutgers University Classics Department)
- Texts by Tacitus:
- Works by Tacitus at Project Gutenberg
- Works by Tacitus at the Internet Archive
- At Perseus Project: Works by Tacitus in English and/or Latin
- At "The Online Books Page": Online e-texts of Tacitus' works
- At "Romansonline" (Latin text can be displayed side by side to translation): Works by Tacitus
- At "The Internet Sacred Text Archive": Parallel English and Latin text of the complete works of Tacitus
- Works by Tacitus: text, concordances and frequency list
- About Tacitus' Agrippina on QueenDido.org