List of Roman emperors
Wikimedia list article
(Redirected from Roman Emperor)
|Emperor of |
the Roman Empire
|Vexillum of the emperor|
|First to command|
16 January 27 BC – 19 August AD 14
|Last monarch||Theodosius I (Unified or Classical),|
Julius Nepos (Western),
Constantine XI (Eastern)
|Style||Imperator, Augustus, Caesar, Princeps, Dominus Noster, Autokrator or Basileus (depending on period) |
His Imperial Majesty (formal)
|Appointer||Roman Senate (officially) and/or Roman Military|
|Monarchy started||16 January 27 BC|
|Monarchy ended||17 January 395 AD (Unified or Classical),|
22 June 480 AD (Western),
29 May 1453 AD (Eastern)
- Tiberius, Augustus's son-in-law.
- Caligula, Tiberius's grand-nephew, murdered by his bodyguards for many crimes.
- Claudius, Caligula's uncle. Claudius conquered Britain, making it part of the Roman Empire.
- Nero, Claudius's grand-nephew. Accused Christians of burning down Rome. First Roman Emperor to commit suicide.
- Nerva, friend of Nero, who had saved Nero's life.
- Trajan. Under Trajan, the Roman Empire was at its largest size ever.
- Hadrian - Hadrian built Hadrian's Wall in Britain, to prevent the Picts from invading Roman Britain. Hadrian died in 138 AD. From 138 AD until 284 AD, there were 32 more emperors.
- Antoninus Pius
- Lucius Verus
- Marcus Aurelius
- Diocletian in 284 AD, created the tetrarchy, abdicated.
- Constantius Chlorus
- Valerius Severus
- Constantine in 306 AD. Moved capital to Byzantium, now Constantinople. Converted to Christianity.
- Maximinus II
- Constantine II, son of Constantine
- Constantius II, son of Constantine
- Constans I, son of Constantine
- Valentinian dynasty
- Theodosian dynasty
Note there were also numerous usurpers ("fake" emperors) including: