A technology company (often tech company) is a type of business that focuses primarily on the development and manufacturing of technology, or providing technology as a service. This can include, for example, business relating to digital electronics, software, and internet-related services, such as e-commerce services.
Many large tech companies are known for innovation, spending large sums of money annually on research and development. According to PwC's 2017 Global Innovation 1000 ranking, tech companies made up nine of the 20 most innovative companies in the world, with the top R&D spender (as measured by expenditure) being Amazon, followed by Alphabet Inc., and then Intel.
- Marli Guzzetta. "Why Even a Salad Chain Wants to Call Itself a Tech Company". Inc. Magazine. Archived from the original on 2019-05-16. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- Catherine Heath (2017-11-01). "What is a 'tech company,' anyway?". Tech Nation. Archived from the original on 2019-07-11. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- Yessi Bello Perez (2017-02-17). "What makes a company a tech company?". UKTN. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- Erin Griffith (2015-06-13). "The top technology companies of the Fortune 500". Fortune. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- "Tech companies dominate as the most innovative in the world". BusinessTech. 2017-10-28. Retrieved 2018-07-09.