Tower 42, previously known as the NatWest tower or National Westminster Tower is a skyscraper in the City of London, England. From the top the design of the building is made to resemble the NatWest logo.
Tower 42 is the fourth-tallest building in the City of London
|Former names||NatWest Tower; International Financial Centre|
|Tallest in the United Kingdom from 1980 to 1991[I]|
|Preceded by||BT Tower|
|Surpassed by||One Canada Square|
England, United Kingdom
|Roof||183 metres (600 ft)|
|Floor area||30,100 m2 (324,000 sq ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||R Seifert & Partners|
|Structural engineer||Pell Frischmann|
|Main contractor||John Mowlem & Co Ltd|
It was constructed between 1971 and 1980, first occupied in 1980 and opened on 11 June 1981 by Queen Elizabeth II. When completed it became the tallest building in the United Kingdom and remained the tallest in the city of London for 30 years until the completion of Heron Tower in December 2009.
The cost to build it was £72 million (£283 million today). The building today has grade A office spaces, a restaurant on the 24th floor and a champagne and seafood bar on the 42nd floor.
Current tenants of the building include:
- Adjusting Services International Limited - ASi
- Avaya Technologies
- Boston Technologies, Inc.
- CEBS Secretariat
- City Osteopath Clinics
- Corporate Communications (Europe)
- Crazy Domains
- Cuatrecasas, Gonçalves Pereira (Lawyers)
- CSJ Capital Partners LLP
- Daewoo Securities (Europe)
- Davis & Co, Solicitors
- EUKOR Car Carriers Inc
- European Banking Authority
- Front Capital Systems
- Haarmann Hemmelrath & Partner, Solicitors
- Hong Kong Airlines
- Knight Piésold
- Majedie Investments
- Meditor Capital Management
- Momenta Consulting
- Natexis Banques Populaires
- RMG Networks
- Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe, Legal Services
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman
- Piraeus Bank
- Private Dining 24
- Project Brokers
- R G A (UK)
- City Social (restaurant)
- System Access (Europe)
- Taylor Vinters
- The Walpole Group
- Tower Trading Group
- Tower 42 Property & Estate Management
- Tullett Prebon Information
- Vertigo 42
In June 2012, a Capix LED multi-media lighting system was installed around levels 39 to 45. This replaced the previous high-energy floodlighting at the top of the building.
The top of the tower is made to resemble the NatWest logo of three chevrons in a hexagonal arrangement.
There are four sections known as the core, leaf 1, leaf 2 and leaf 3.
- "Tower 42". Skyscraper Center. CTBUH. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- "Boston Technologies website". Bostontechnologies.com. Archived from the original on 15 June 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "CEBS Secretariat Offices London - Handbook for visitors" (PDF). Committee of European Banking Supervisors. p. 2. Retrieved 16 April 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "City Osteopath Clinics". Cylex-uk.co.uk. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Corporate Communications - Contact". Corporate Communications (Europe) Limited. Archived from the original on 10 April 2010. Retrieved 16 April 2010.
- "Crazy Domains contact us". Crazydomains.co.uk. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- "Piraeus Bank website". Piraeusbank.co.uk. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Project Brokers website". Projectbrokers.com. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 11 October 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2012.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)