Vanadzor is the third-largest city in Armenia. In 2001 there were 107,394 people. It is the capital of the Lori Province. It was named Kirovakan during the Soviet era and Karakilisa during the Tsarist period.
|• Mayor||Mamikon Aslanyan|
|• Total||25.1 km2 (9.7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,350 m (4,430 ft)|
|• Density||3,400/km2 (8,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (AMT)|
|Area code(s)||(+374) 322|
|Website||Vanadzor official website|
Much of the city's history is unknown. The history of the area possibly dates back to the Bronze Age. It was definitely part of the Kingdom of Armenia. The town had a lot of damage from the 1988 Spitak earthquake.
- Stepan Zoryan, an Armenian writer
- Suren Aghababyan, a literary critic
- Artavazd Peleshyan, a documentary film-maker
- Shavarsh Karapetyan, a Soviet Armenian finswimmer
- Vic Darchinyan, World unified boxing champion and the IBF, WBO, WBC champion
- Gor Mkhitarian, an Armenian rock-musician
- Tigran Sargsyan, Prime Minister of Armenia