Vasyl Pavlovych Komisarenko (January 1, 1907, Chernyakhiv - April 7, 1993, Kyiv) was a Ukrainian endocrinologist and pathophysiologist, academician of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine and academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, organizer and director of the Institute of Endocrinology and Metabolism. Head of the Department of Pathophysiology 1955-1960.
He was born on January 14, 1907 in the village of Chernyakhiv (now Kaharlyk district of Kyiv region). He graduated from the Kyiv Medical School (now the Kyiv Medical School). In 1928 he entered the Kharkiv Medical Institute. After graduating from the institute in 1932, he was enrolled in the graduate school of the Ukrainian Organ Therapeutic Institute in Kharkiv. In 1935, Komisarenko defended his dissertation and worked as a senior researcher at the Ukrainian Organ Therapeutic Institute, and two years later he was appointed director of the institute.
After moving to Kyiv at the invitation of Academician Oleksandr Bogomolets, from 1940, for 25 years, Vasyl Pavlovych headed the endocrinology laboratory of the Institute of Experimental Biology and Pathology, which was later reorganized into the Bogomolets Institute of Physiology Bogomolets under the USSR Academy of Sciences. In 1941, Komisarenko defended his doctoral dissertation, and then published a book "On the pathogenesis of insulin shock."
Komisarenko is the author of more than 300 scientific papers, including ten monographs. Has prepared 25 doctors and 45 candidates of sciences.
The main scientific works are devoted to the problem of the mechanism of action of hormones. Komisarenko is the founder of the Ukrainian school of endocrinologists.
His main scientific works:
- Adrenal cortex hormones and their role in physiological and pathological processes of the body (1956).
- Splenin (1961).
- Inhibitors of adrenal cortex function (1972).
- Molecular mechanisms of action of steroid hormones (1986).
The name of Vasyl Komissarenko is assigned to the Institute of Endocrinology and Metabolism, on the facade of which a memorial table has been installed at 69 Vyshhorodska Street in Kyiv.
- "Він залишається нашим сучасником. 14 січня 2007 року виповнюється 100 років від дня народження усесвітньо відомого ученого-патофізіолога, патріарха української ендокринології, академіка НАН і АМН України Василя Павловича Комісаренка. Микола ТРОНЬКО | Соціум | Людина". web.archive.org. 2010-01-05. Retrieved 2021-01-22.
- "Комісаренко Василь Павлович". www.nas.gov.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2021-01-22.
- "КОМІСАРЕНКО Василь Павлович". Фармацевтична енциклопедія (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2021-01-22.