|Developer(s)||Ryan Boren, Mark Jaquith, Matt Mullenweg, Andrew Ozz, Peter Westwood|
|Initial release||May 27, 2003|
4.6.1 / September 7, 2016
WordPress allows users to create and edit websites through a central administrative dashboard, which includes a text editor for modifying content, menus and various design elements.
WordPress provides plugins which provide additional functionality through WordPress Plugin Directory. There are over 54,000+ Plugins available in WordPress repository, and they can be installed through either upload or by one-click installation through the WordPress Plugin Library.
Users can write posts into the software and other people reading the post can write comments about it.
Since the release of WordPress version 4.7 the software had been downloaded more than 36+ million times.
WordPress can be downloaded and installed on any server with PHP installed. However, WordPress has a service for users to host blogs, called wordpress.com. It has a limit of 3 GB of free space, with an option to upgrade for more. Users cannot add their own domain to the blog when using free option.
- WordPress 4.6.1 Security and Maintenance Release
- "WordPress › About » GPL". WordPress.org. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- WordPress Blog - www.nextoronto.com - Retrieved February 24, 2017
- WordPress Download Counter - Retrieved December 19, 2010
- The Features You'll Love -- WordPress.com - Retrieved December 15, 2010
- Wordpress.com - A website that you can create a blog in using WordPress for free
- Wordpress.org - The website to get WordPress
- WordPress themes and plugins comparison, guides, reviews