The 1550s was a decade that started on 1 January 1550 and ended on 31 December 1559.
|Centuries:||15th century – 16th century – 17th century|
|Decades:||1520s 1530s 1540s – 1550s – 1560s 1570s 1580s|
|Years:||1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 1558 1559|
|Categories:||Births – Deaths – Architecture|
Establishments – Disestablishments
- Helsinki founded in Finland.
- Rule of Bloody Mary, or Mary I of England from 1553 to 1558.
- São Paulo founded in Brazil.
- Religious wars continue in Europe.
- Russia breaks peace with Sweden by attacking Finland.
- The Shaanxi Earthquake, the deadliest earthquake in history.
- Sarsa Dengel, Emperor of Ethiopia
- King Sebastian of Portugal
- Nurhaci, Chinese founder of the Qing Dynasty
- Tabinshwehti, King of Burma
- Edward VI, King of England
- Ignatius of Loyola, Spanish founder of the Jesuit priests