Albert II of Belgium
Albert II (French: Albert Félix Humbert Théodore Christian Eugène Marie, Dutch: Albert Felix Humbert Theodoor Christiaan Eugène Marie, German: Albert Felix Humbert Theodor Christian Eugen Maria) (born Stuyvenberg Castle, Brussels, 6 June 1934) was the King of the Belgians and a constitutional monarch. He is the younger son of King Leopold III (1901-1983) and his first wife, Princess Astrid of Sweden (1905-1935). On 21 July 2013, King Albert II abdicated and gave the throne to his son, Philippe of Belgium.
|6th King of the Belgians|
Albert II visiting Voka - Limburg Chamber of Commerce
|Reign||9 August 1993 – 21 July 2013|
(19 years, 346 days)
|Heir-Apparent||Philippe of Belgium|
|Born||June 6, 1934|
Stuyvenberg Castle, Brussels, Belgium
|Consort||Paola Ruffo di Calabria|
|French||Albert Félix Humbert Théodore Christian Eugène Marie|
|Flemish||Albert Felix Humbert Theodoor Christiaan Eugène Marie|
|German||Albert Felix Humbert Theodor Christian Eugen Maria|
|House||Saxe-Coburg and Gotha|
|Mother||Astrid of Sweden|
Marriage and familyEdit
He and the Queen have three children:
- Philippe Léopold Louis Marie (born 15 April 1960). He married, on 4 December 1999, Mathilde of Belgium
- Astrid Joséphine Charlotte Fabrizia Elisabeth Paola Marie (born 5 June 1962). She is the wife of His Imperial and Royal Highness Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este, Archduke of Austria, Prince Royal of Hungary and Bohemia.
- Laurent Benoît Baudouin Marie (born 19 October 1963). He married Claire Coombs, on 12 April 2003.
Titles and stylesEdit
- 6 June 1934 – 7 June 1934: His Royal Highness Prince Albert of Belgium
- 7 June 1934 – 9 August 1993: His Royal Highness The Prince of Liège
- 9 August 1993 – 21 July 2013: His Majesty The King of the Belgians
- 21 July 2013 – present: His Majesty King Albert II of the Belgians
After his announced abdication on 21 July 2013 it was decided that he would be styled as His Majesty King Albert II. This is the same form of address given to his father, Leopold III, after his abdication.
- "The Belgian Monachy:Home - Royal Family - King Albert II". Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- ""Koning der Belgen" versus "Koning" (Dutch)". Deredactie.be.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Albert II of Belgium.|
- Royal House of Belgium Archived 2009-03-31 at the Wayback Machine
- Princely House of Ruffo Archived 2008-12-22 at the Wayback Machine
- Official Belgian monarchy web site
- Belgium defends king against 'assault', BBC News
- The Royal Belgium Orders
| King of the Belgians
1993 – 2013