Alfred Thaddeus Crane Pennyworth, or simply called Alfred, is a fictional character in the DC Comics universe. He is Batman's loyal butler and assistant who helps him complete his missions. He took care of Bruce Wayne when he was a child after his parents were killed. Pennyworth gives Batman all the information he needs and the location where villains are held at. He has a British accent.
Before becoming a butler, Pennyworth was an actor and former member of Special Operations Executive. He is known for his sarcastic comments. He was nominated by the Wizard Fan Award for Favorite Supporting Male Character in 1994.
The character first appeared in Batman #16 (April 1943), by writer Don Cameron and artist Bob Kane. Alfred was created by the writers of the 1943 Batman serial but DC Comics asked Don Cameron to write the first Alfred story, which was published before the serial's release.
Pennyworth was played by Alan Napier, Ian Abercrombie and Sean Pertwee in television shows. He was voiced by Clive Revill and by Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. in Batman: The Animated Series and was voiced by Ralph Fiennes in The Lego Batman Movie.
- Played by Alan Napier
- Batman (1966)
- Played by Michael Gough
- Played by Michael Caine in The Dark Knight Trilogy
- Played by Jeremy Irons in the DC Extended Universe
- Played by Andy Serkis
- The Batman (2022)
- Fleisher, Michael L. (1976). The Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes, Volume 1: Batman. New York City: Macmillan Publishing Co. pp. 5–14. ISBN 0-02-538700-6. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- Mackie, Rob (October 21, 2005). "Batman Begins review". The Guardian. London, England. Retrieved February 20, 2007.
- Tilley, Steve (June 13, 2005). "Michael Caine one tough butler". Edmonton Sun. Archived from the original on 2012-06-29. Retrieved February 20, 2007.
- "Comic Book Awards Almanac". Users.rcn.com. Archived from the original on January 7, 2009. Retrieved December 25, 2010.
- Daniels, Les (2004). Batman: The Complete History. San Francisco, California: Chronicle Books. ISBN 978-0811842327.