prefecture of Japan
Aomori Prefecture (青森県, Aomori-ken) is a prefecture in the Tōhoku region of Japan on the island of Honshu. The capital city is Aomori.
|• Governor||Shingo Mimura|
|• Total||9,606.26 km2 (3,709.00 sq mi)|
|• Density||140/km2 (370/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||JP-02|
|Prefectural flower||Apple blossom (Malus domestica)|
|Prefectural tree||Hiba (Thujopsis dolabrata)|
|Prefectural bird||Bewick's Swan (Cygnus bewickii)|
|Number of districts||8|
|Number of municipalities||40|
Until the Meiji Restoration, the lands of Aomori prefecture were part of Mutsu Province.
Aomori Prefecture is the northernmost prefecture on Honshū. The prefecture faces Hokkaidō across the Tsugaru Strait. It shares its southern border with Akita Prefecture and Iwate Prefecture.
There are ten cities in Aomori Prefecture:
National Parks are established in about 12% of the total land area of the prefecture, including
Shrines and TemplesEdit
Tsutsukowake jinja is the chief Shinto shrine (ichinomiya) in the prefecture.
- ↑ National Census 2010 Preliminary Results
- ↑ Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Aomori-ken" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 35; "Tōhoku" at p. 970.
- ↑ Nussbaum, "Aomori" at p. 35.
- ↑ Nussbaum, "Provinces and prefectures" at p. 780.
- ↑ Japan Ministry of the Environment, "General overview of area figures for Natural Parks by prefecture"; retrieved 2012-3-13.
- ↑ Japan Ministry of the Environment, "Towada-Hachimantai National Park" Archived 2006-05-16 at the Wayback Machine; retrieved 2012-3-19.
- ↑ "Nationwide List of Ichinomiya," p. 1 Archived 2013-05-17 at the Wayback Machine; retrieved 2012-3-13.
Media related to Aomori prefecture at Wikimedia Commons