Sugar or high fructose corn syrup is often added to the applesauce to sweeten it. Applesauce can be fine or coarse textured, and can include large pieces of apple. It is easy to make at home, and it is also sold ready-made in supermarkets.
Use and availability change
Apple sauce was once a food prepared for winter, since it keeps well.
- Hale, Sarah Josepha Buell (1839). The good housekeeper: or, The way to live well and to be well while we live : containing directions for choosing and preparing food, in regard to health, economy and taste. Weeks, Jordan. p. 79. Retrieved 11 January 2011.
- David Tao (13 November 2012). "Healthier Ways to Bake Without Butter or Oil". Greatist. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Baking Alternatives - Reducing Fat in Your Favorite Baked Goods Recipes". Wilton Blog - Ideas from Wilton. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "HowStuffWorks "Ultimate Guide to Low-fat Baking"". HowStuffWorks. April 2000. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Julie R. Thomson (11 August 2015) [6 August 2015]. "5 Ingredients To Substitute For Eggs In Vegan Baking". Huffington Post.