Archibald Gracie IV
Colonel Archibald Gracie IV (January 17, 1859 – December 4, 1912) was an American writer, amateur historian, real estate investor, and survivor of the sinking of the R.M.S Titanic. He survived the sinking by climbing aboard an overturned lifeboat. He wrote a popular book about the disaster which is still in print today.
Archibald Gracie IV
|Born||January 15, 1859|
Mobile, Alabama, U.S.
|Died||December 4, 1912 (aged 53)|
|Cause of death||Complications from diabetes|
|Resting place||Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx|
|Education||St. Paul's School|
United States Military Academy
|Occupation||Writer, amateur historian, real estate investor|
|Known for||Survivor of the RMS Titanic|
|Parent(s)||Archibald Gracie III|
Gracie was saved during the sinking of the Titanic when he got onto a lifeboat. Then as the ship started to sink, his life boat was sucked underwater. Gracie and his friend Clinch Smith were under the ship when Gracie was freed from the ship's current and began to swin towards a collapsed lifeboat. His friend Clinch never reached the surface and his remains were never found.
Gracie died on December 4, 1912 from diabetes in New York City, New York, aged 53. He died just 8 months after the sinking, making him the first upper-class Titanic survivor to die. Gracie's last words were "We must get them into the boats. We must get them all into the boats."
- Encyclopedia Titanica Biography of Archibald Gracie
- Archibald Gracie Death Certificate on Titanic-Titanic.com
- "COL. GRACIE DIES, HAUNTED BY TITANIC; " We Must Get Them All in the Boats," Last Words of the Man Who Helped to Save Many. (Published 1912)". The New York Times. 5 December 1912. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy, by John P. Eaton and Charles A. Haas, W.W. Newton & Company, 2nd edition 1995 ISBN 0-393-03697-9
- A Night to Remember, by Walter Lord, ed. Nathaniel Hilbreck, Owl Books, rep. 2004, ISBN 0-8050-7764-2
- The Truth about the Titanic by Colonel Archibald Gracie, New York, Mitchell Kennerley, 1913
- Titanic: A Survivor's Story and the Sinking of the S.S. Titanic by Archibald Gracie and Jack Thayer, Academy Chicago Publishers, 1988 ISBN 0-89733-452-3
- The Truth about Chickamauga, by Archibald Gracie, 1911 ISBN 0-89029-038-5