Barisal, officially known as Barishal, (Bengali: বরিশাল Bengali Pron: [boɾiʃal]) is a town in southern Bangladesh. It is an old port on the Kirtankhola. It is 142 km (373 km by road) away from the capital city Dhaka. It is now the headquarters of both the Barisal Division and the Barisal District. The city has 30 wards and 50 mahallas. Barisal municipality was formed in 1957 and was turned into a City Corporation in 2000.
Venice of the East
|Granted city status||19 April 2001|
|• Body||Barisal City Corporation|
|• Urban||58 km2 (22 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1 m (4 ft)|
|• Density||10,524/km2 (27,260/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+6 (BST)|
|National calling code||+880|
|Police||Barisal Metropolitan Police|
|Domestic airport||Barisal Airport|
|Website||Official Web Portal|
Barisal City has one police academy.
Barisal is a major center for higher education in Bangladesh. A few of city’s education institutions are:
- Brojomohun College
- Government Syed Hatem Ali College
- Barisal Government Women's College
- Amrita Lal Dey College
- Barisal Cadet College
- Barisal Zilla School
- Barisal Govt. Girls' High School
There is also a Physical education college, a Nursing institute and two Teacher's training colleges.
- "Barisal City Master Plan - Urban Development Directorate". Urban Development Directorate - Government of Bangladesh. Archived from the original on 14 April 2015. Retrieved 14 April 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Barisal City Corporation, Bangladesh" (PDF). ICLEI. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 April 2015. Retrieved 12 April 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Population & Housing Census-2011" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. p. 38. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 December 2015. Retrieved 15 December 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Bangladesh changes English spellings of five districts". Bdnews24.com. Dhaka. 2 April 2018. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barishal.|