Buena Vista, Virginia
Buena Vista (/ˌbjuːnəˈvɪstə/ BEW-nə-VIS-tə) is an independent city located in the Blue Ridge Mountains region of Virginia in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the population was 6,650.
Buena Vista, Virginia
|Coordinates: 37°43′56″N 79°21′12″W / 37.73222°N 79.35333°W|
|County||None (Independent city)|
|• Total||6.8 sq mi (17.6 km2)|
|• Land||6.7 sq mi (17.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||837 ft (255 m)|
|• Density||992/sq mi (383.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1492666|
Formerly named "Hart's Bottom", "Green Forest" or "Green Valley" until 1888, and chartered as a town in 1890, Buena Vista was granted a city charter on February 15, 1892.
Founded by Benjamin C. Moomaw in the late 1800s, the town consisted only of a simple tannery at the intersection of two railroads and a canal. The Richmond and Alleghany Railroad and the Shenandoah Valley Railroad,
Buena Vista is home to Southern Virginia University, which had an enrollment of 928 full-time students in the fall of 2017.
- ↑ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ↑ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ↑ "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2014-03-10. Retrieved 2014-01-05.
- ↑ "Buena Vista endures name changes, anniversary dispute, boom and bust times | The News Leader | newsleader.com". newsleader.com. Archived from the original on 2013-06-30. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- ↑ Whitehead, T.; Virginia. Dept. of Agriculture; Virginia. Board of Agriculture (1893). Virginia, a Hand-book: Giving Its History, Climate, and Mineral Wealth, Its Educational, Agricultural, and Industrial Advantages. Everett Waddey Company. p. 177. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- ↑ "Southern Virginia University Grows 40 Percent in Four Years". Southern Virginia University. Retrieved October 8, 2017.
- City of Buena Vista official website
- Buena Vista, Virginia Community News
- Lexington-Rockbridge-Buena Vista Tourism
Coordinates: 37°43′56″N 79°21′12″W / 37.732184°N 79.353325°W