Capital Gazette shooting
Shooting occurred outside the newspaper building.
Five people were killed and several others were injured in the attack. The five who were killed are Rob Hiaasen, an assistant editor and weekend columnist for The Capital and the brother of novelist Carl Hiaasen, community beat reporter Wendi Winters, columnist and editorial page editor Gerald Fischman, editor and sports reporter John McNamara, and sales assistant Rebecca Smith.
Maryland Governor Larry Hogan tweeted that he was "[a]bsolutely devastated to learn of this tragedy in Annapolis," and asking residents to "heed all warnings and stay away from the area". President Trump was briefed on the shooting while aboard Air Force One.
- Rector, Kevin (June 28, 2018). "Shooting reported at Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis, staff say". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved June 28, 2018.
- "4 Deaths Reported After Shooting At Capital-Gazette Building In Annapolis". CBS Baltimore. June 28, 2018.
- "5 dead in shooting at newspaper building in Maryland, suspect in custody". CBS News. June 28, 2018. Retrieved June 28, 2018.
- Meg Wagner; Veronica Rocha; Brian Ries (June 28, 2018). "Shooting at Maryland newspaper". CNN.
- Marbella, Jean. "Capital Gazette editor Rob Hiaasen identified as victim of shooting at newspaper". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved June 29, 2018.
- Wenger, Yvonne. "Capital Gazette shooting victim Wendi Winters: A prolific writer who chronicled her community". Retrieved June 29, 2018.
- Cox, Erin. "Capital Gazette shooting victim Gerald Fischman: Clever and quirky voice of a community newspaper". Retrieved June 29, 2018.
- McDaniels, Andrea K. "Capital Gazette shooting victim John McNamara: Sports reporting was his dream job". Retrieved June 29, 2018.
- Anderson, Jessica. "Capital Gazette shooting victim Rebecca Smith: Recent hire loved spending time with family". Retrieved June 29, 2018.
- Larry Hogan [@GovLarryHogan] (June 28, 2018). "Absolutely devastated to learn of this tragedy in Annapolis" (Tweet). Retrieved June 28, 2018 – via Twitter.
- Russo, Amy (June 28, 2018). "Multiple People Dead After Shooting at Maryland Newsroom". Mediaite. Retrieved June 28, 2018.