Carlos Slim Helú (born January 28, 1940 in Mexico City) is a Mexican businessman. He was the richest person in the world from 2010 to 2013. He owns the Mexican phone company Telmex, which provides a telephone service to most Mexicans. After graduating, Slim expanded on his father's ownings of real estate in Mexico City. By age 26, he was worth $40 million. During the 1980s and 1990s, Slim bought several companies that were bankrupt or being privatized. Slim owns about 7% of the New York Times. He is now worth $60 billion. Slim's maternal grandparents and his father were from Lebanon. In 2017, According to Forbes Carlos Slim is the world’s fifth richest person.
Carlos Slim, October 24, 2007
|Born||January 28, 1940|
Mexico City, Mexico
|Alma mater||Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México|
|Occupation||Chairman & CEO of Telmex, América Móvil and Grupo Carso|
|Known for||World's richest person (2007, 2010, 2011, 2012)|
|Net worth||US$ 69 billion (2012)|
|Spouse(s)||Soumaya Domit (m. 1967–1999, her death)|
|Parent(s)||Julián Slim Haddad (deceased)|
- "Carlos Slim Helu & family". Forbes. Retrieved March 8, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Bone, James (March 11, 2010). "Mexican mogul Carlos Slim got his big break in sell-off of national telephone firm". The Times (London). http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/entrepreneur/article7057516.ece. Retrieved June 17, 2011.
- Padgett, Tim (July 11, 2007). "Carlos Slim's Embarrassment of Riches". Time Magazine. United States. Retrieved June 17, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "When the World's Richest Billionaire Owns Your Paper". FAIR. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2018-07-16.
- "Profile: Carlos Slim". BBC News. March 10, 2010. Retrieved April 28, 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Forbes". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-07-16.
- "Carlos Slim Helú tiene covid-19, confirma su hijo". proceso.com.mx (in Spanish). Proceso. January 25, 2021. Retrieved January 25, 2021.