Coit Tower is a 210-foot (64 m) tower in the Telegraph Hill neighborhood of San Francisco, California. The tower, in the city's Pioneer Park, was built in 1933. Lillie Hitchcock Coit left one-third of her estate to the city "to be expended in an appropriate manner for the purpose of adding to the beauty of the city which I have always loved".
Coit Memorial Tower
|Location||1 Telegraph Hill Blvd., San Francisco, California|
|Coordinates||37°48′09″N 122°24′21″W / 37.80250°N 122.40583°WCoordinates: 37°48′09″N 122°24′21″W / 37.80250°N 122.40583°W|
|Area||1.7 acres (0.69 ha)|
|Architect||Brown, Arthur Jr.|
|Architectural style||Art Deco|
|NRHP reference No.||07001468|
|Added to NRHP||January 29, 2008|
The art deco tower is made of unpainted reinforced concrete. Architects Arthur Brown, Jr. and Henry Howard designed it. The tower has fresco murals by 27 different on-site artists and their assistants, plus two additional paintings installed after creation off-site.
The tower was not designed to resemble a fire hose nozzle, despite Coit's affinity with the San Francisco firefighters of the day, in particular with Knickerbocker Engine Company Number 5.
- ↑ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- ↑ "City of San Francisco Designated Landmarks". City of San Francisco. Retrieved 2012-10-21.
- ↑ Pryor, Alton (2003). Fascinating Women in California History. Stagecoach Pub. pp. 86. ISBN 0966005392.
- ↑ "Coit Tower Murals - San Francisco, CA - Murals on Waymarking.com". www.waymarking.com. Retrieved 2020-08-12.
- ↑ Crowe, Michael F. and Robert W. Bowen (2007). Images of America: San Francisco Art Deco. Arcadia Publishing. pp. 72. ISBN 978-0-7385-4734-3.
- video of tower history and mural tour
- Coit Tower at Structurae
- San Francisco Highs at Coit Tower Archived 2015-11-13 at the Wayback Machine
- Coit Tower page in New Deal Art Registry Archived 2010-07-11 at the Wayback Machine
- Photography of Telegraph Hill Archived 2008-11-19 at the Wayback Machine by Bennett Hall