Cullman is a city in Cullman County, Alabama. Cullman is along Interstate 65, about 50 miles (80 km) north of Birmingham, and about 55 miles (89 km) south of Huntsville. According to the 2010 census, it has 14,775 people. Cullman is the county seat of Cullman County, Alabama.
Hwy 278 & Hwy 31
"A City of Character"
Location of Cullman in Cullman County, Alabama.
|Founded by||Colonel Johann Gottfried Cullmann|
|Named for||Colonel Johann Gottfried Cullmann|
|• Mayor||Woody Jacobs|
|• Total||20.56 sq mi (53.24 km2)|
|• Land||19.36 sq mi (50.15 km2)|
|• Water||1.20 sq mi (3.09 km2)|
|Elevation||898 ft (251 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||800.33/sq mi (309.01/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central Standard Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Area code(s)||256 Exchanges: 734,735,736,737,738,775|
|GNIS feature ID||0116948|
The Cullman City School System operates five schools: Cullman Primary School (Pre-K - First Grade),
East Elementary (Second Grade - Sixth Grade),
West Elementary (Second Grade - Sixth Grade),
John G. Cullman Middle School (Seventh and Eighth Grades),
and Cullman High School (Ninth Grade - Twelfth Grade).
Other schools in Cullman include the Saint Bernard Preparatory School, a Benedictine boarding school (Ninth Grade - Twelfth Grade),
Saint Bernard Middle School (Seventh and Eighth Grade),
Sacred Heart Elementary School (Pre-K - Sixth Grade),
Saint Paul's Lutheran School (Pre-K - Sixth Grade),
and Cullman Christian School (Pre-K - Twelfth Grade).
- WFMH 1340 AM (Sports/Talk)
- WKUL 92.1 FM (Country/Talk)
- WMCJ 1460 AM (Southern Gospel)
- WYDE 101.1 FM (Talk Radio)
- The Cullman Times (daily)
- The Cullman Tribune (weekly)
- Cullman Sense (weekly)
Also, there is one low-power broadcasting station in Cullman: WCQT-LP TV-27
- Cullman Regional Medical Center - a 115-bed hospital.
Notable persons from CullmanEdit
- JoJo Billingsley, singer/songwriter
- Wesley Britt, National Football League player
- James E. "Big Jim" Folsom, Governor of Alabama 1947 - 51 and 1955 – 59
- James E. "Little Jim" Folsom, Jr., Governor of Alabama 1993 - 95, former and current Lieutenant Governor of Alabama
- Robert Hall, professional make-up artist
- Roger Hallmark, country musician
- Kurt Heinecke, composer and voice actor
- Charles Kleibacker, fashion designer
- Greg Knighten, Army specialist
- Harold E. Martin, journalist and 1970 Pulitzer Prize winner
- Julian L. McPhillips candidate for Attorney General of Alabama in 1978.
- Johnny Lee Smith, martial arts instructor and founder of Triad Martial Arts Academy; portrayed himself (with the nickname "Tiger Claw") on '90s TV show WMAC Masters.
- Channing Tatum, actor/model
- Holly Williams, country music singer (and daughter of Hank Williams, Jr.)
- Larry Willingham, professional football player
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 17, 2017.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on May 22, 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Cullman City Schools". cullmancats.net. Retrieved January 28, 2010.