The Cupa României (English: Romanian Cup) is an association football club tournament for Romanian teams. It has been held annually since 1933–34, except during World War II. All teams connected to the Romanian Football Federation can perform in the tournament. The winner of the cup is granted a place in the play-off round of the UEFA Europa League.
Since the 2009–10 season, the format has been as such:
The county phase begins the tournament and is organized by the county football associations. Forty-two teams (one from each county) advance to the next phase.
- First round – 140 teams (42 teams qualified from the county phase and 98 Liga III teams)
- Second round – 80 teams (70 winners from the first round and the remaining 10 Liga III teams)
- Third round – 40 teams (winners from the second round)
- Fourth round – 56 teams (20 winners from the third round and all 36 Liga II teams)
- Round of 32 – (14 winners from the fifth round and all 18 Liga I teams)
- Round of 16 (winners from the Round of 32)
- As of the 2015–16 season
- Stokkermans, Karel (2015-06-04). "Romania Cup Finals". RSSSF. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- "Romanian Cup: Season 1987-1988". Romanian Soccer History & Statistics. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
The goal of Balint was anulated because of off-side, at signalling of assistant referee George Ionescu. Steaua retired from the field (after the command of Valentin Ceauşescu, the son of president Nicolae Ceauşescu) but Romanian Federation of Football offered the Cup to Steaua Bucureşti. In 1990, Steaua renounced at this trophy because it was won unjust.
- "Mircea Lucescu despre Steaua - Dinamo: 'Rivalitatea a existat mai mult între mine și Valentin Ceaușescu'". Dolce Sport (in Romanian). Telekom Romania. 2015-03-01. Retrieved 2015-10-26.