Dennis MacAlistair Ritchie (September 9, 1941–October 12, 2011), was an American computer scientist who "helped shape the digital era." He created the C programming language and, with long-time colleague Ken Thompson, the UNIX operating system. Ritchie and Thompson received the Turing Award from the ACM in 1983, the Hamming Medal from the IEEE in 1990 and the National Medal of Technology from President Clinton in 1999. Ritchie was the head of Lucent Technologies System Software Research Department when he retired in 2007. He was the 'R' in K&R C.
Dennis MacAlistair Ritchie
|Born||September 9, 1941|
Bronxville, New York, U.S.
|Died||October 12, 2011 (aged 70)|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
National Medal of Technology
Lohr, Steve (October 12, 2011), "Dennis Ritchie, Programming Trailblazer, Dies at 70", The New York Times, retrieved October 13, 2011,
Dennis M. Ritchie, who helped shape the modern digital era by creating software tools that power things as diverse as search engines like Google and smartphones, was found dead on Wednesday at his home in Berkeley Heights, N.J. He was 70. Mr. Ritchie, who lived alone, was in frail health in recent years after treatment for prostate cancer and heart disease, said his brother Bill.
"Unix creator Dennis Ritchie dies aged 70". BBC News. October 13, 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
Pioneering computer scientist Dennis Ritchie has died after a long illness. ... The first news of Dr Ritchie's death came via Rob Pike, a former colleague who worked with him at Bell Labs. Mr Ritchie's passing was then confirmed in a statement from Alcatel Lucent which now owns Bell Labs.
Rob Pike (October 12, 2011), (untitled post to Google+), retrieved October 14, 2011,
I just heard that, after a long illness, Dennis Ritchie (dmr) died at home this weekend. I have no more information.
Campbell-Kelly, Martin (October 13, 2011), "Dennis Ritchie obituary", The Guardian, retrieved October 13, 2011,
Dennis MacAlistair Ritchie, computer scientist, born 9 September 1941; died 12 October 2011CS1 maint: date and year (link)
Media related to Dennis Ritchie at Wikimedia Commons
- Dennis Ritchie's home page at Bell Labs Archived 2003-08-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Williamson, Marcus, "Obituary: Dennis Ritchie: Computer software pioneer", The Independent (UK), Monday, 17 October 2011
- "Obituary"The Economist (UK), 20 October 2011
- Transcript of an interview with Dennis Ritchie – Interview by Michael S. Mahoney
- Interview with Dennis M. Ritchie – By Manuel Benet (published in LinuxFocus.org in July 1999)
- "The C Family of Languages: Interview with Dennis Ritchie, Bjarne Stroustrup, and James Gosling" - article in Java Report, 5(7), July 2000 and C++ Report, 12(7), July/August 2000
- - "The Guru" - article in Linux Magazine, June 2001
- Unix.se DMR interview published February 7. 2003
- Ritchie and Thompson Receive National Medal of Technology from President Clinton Archived 2003-10-11 at the Wayback Machine
- The future according to Dennis Ritchie – LinuxWorld.com 12/4/00
- The Limbo Programming Language by Dennis M. Ritchie
- Dennis Ritchie's video interview June 2011
- Works by or about Dennis Ritchie in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Dennis Ritchie at the Open Directory Project