Diary of a Mad Black Woman
Diary of a Mad Black Woman is a 2005 movie. It was based on a play written by Tyler Perry. The movie starred Kimberly Elise, Shemar Moore, Cicely Tyson, Steve Harris, and Tyler Perry. The movie was directed by Darren Grant. It was released in the US on February 25, 2005. The movie became the top-grossing film in the United States in mid-March of 2005.
Kimberly Elise portrays Helen McCarter, a depressed woman living in Atlanta with her husband Charles (Steve Harris). When Charles decides he wants to marry his "other woman" Brenda, he literally drags Helen out the door. With no place to go, Helen goes to live with her grandmother Mabel "Madea" Simmons (Tyler Perry) in the ghetto. Madea assists Helen in getting her life back under control with the help of Helen's mother Myrtle Jean (Cicely Tyson), Madea's brother Joe (Tyler Perry), and Brian (Tyler Perry), her attorney relative.
- Tyler Perry as Madea Simmons / Joe Baker / Brian Baker
- Kimberly Elise as Helen Simmons-McCarter
- Gary Anthony Sturgis as Jamison Milton Jackson
- Steve Harris as Charles McCarter
- Shemar Moore as Orlando
- Cicely Tyson as Myrtle Jean-Simmons
- Lisa Marcos as Brenda
- Tamara Taylor as Debrah Baker
- Tiffany Evans as Tiffany Baker
- Tamela Mann (cameo) as Cora Simmons
- Judge Mablean Ephriam (cameo) as herself
- "Tyler Perry Biography – Inspired by Oprah..." 2010. Retrieved January 16, 2010. J Rank's biography website article