Estelle Fanta Swaray, better known under the name Estelle, formerly known as Est'elle (born January 18, 1980) is an English Grammy Award-winning R&B, hip hop and soul singer-songwriter. She was born in Hammersmith, London, England.
Estelle in 2008
Estelle Fanta Swaray
18 January 1980
In 2004, two of Estelle's singles made it into the charts. These were "1980" and "Free". She also won a MOBO Award for "Best Newcomer". The videos to both of her songs were directed by Andy Hylton. "Free" was written by Estelle. It was produced by Jimmy Hogarth. Her first album,The 18th Day was number 35 in the UK Albums Chart.
In 2008, Estelle worked with rapper Kanye West on her song "American Boy". This song reached the top 10 in many countries. It was number one on the UK Singles Chart and in Belgium and Israel. The song won many awards. These included a Grammy Award for best Rap / collaboration. The song was also nominated for the Grammy for "Song of the Year". "American Boy" was Number 7 on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Best Songs of 2008. Her album Shine was released after the single. It was on the albums chart in most countries. It was number 6 in the UK. Estelle also released a new single with American rapper Busta Rhymes. It is called "World Go Round". The single was on his album Back on My B.S. which was released on 19 May 2009.
Her third album All of Me was released on February 28, 2012 in the US.
- Studio albums
- "Estelle | MTV UK". Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- "BOBO Awards 2004". Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- "Andy Hylton". Andy Hylton. Retrieved 2010-06-20.
- "Estelle UK Chart Positions and Trajectories". chartstats.com. Archived from the original on 19 January 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2009.
- "Estelle & Kanye West hold on to Number One spot". New Musical Express. Retrieved 10 April 2009.
- "Estelle feat. Kanye West - American Boy Belgian Charts/Worldwide". Ultratop/ultratop.be. Retrieved 10 April 2009.
- "The 100 Best Songs of 2007" Rolling Stone (25 December 2008) Retrieved 25 December 2008