West at the 2009 Tribeca Film Festival
Kanye Omari West
June 8, 1977
Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.
|Home town||Chicago, Illinois, U.S.|
Kim Kardashian (m. 2014)
|Origin||Chicago, Illinois, U.S.|
He rose to fame in the mid 2000s. His first three albums, The College Dropout, Late Registration and Graduation received many awards, critical acclaim, and commercial success. In 2008, he released his fourth album, 808s & Heartbreak. In 2010, he released his fifth, titled My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. In 2013, he released his sixth album, Yeezus. Yeezus got good reviews from music critics. In 2016, he released his seventh album, The Life of Pablo. West also runs his own record label called GOOD Music.
West was born to middle-class African-American parents in Atlanta, Georgia. He moved with his mother to Chicago when he was three years old. He started writing poetry at the age of five. Kanye moved with his mother to Nanjing, China when he was 10. In 1997 West started taking painting classes at Chicago's American Academy of Art. After a short time he changed to Chicago State University to major in English. When he was 20 he left college to focus on music.
West started his music career as a producer creating beats for local Chicago artists. He was well known in these beats to take samples of old and popular soul songs, speed them up, raise the pitch and put these samples in his beats to enhance the sound. This is called Chipmunk Soul. In the late 1990s, West became a member of the amateur rap group called Go-Getters with GLC, Timmy G, and Really Doe. In 1999 they released their only album, World Record Holders.
In 2003 West released his first mixtape, Get Well Soon.... He rapped on Twista's single "Slow Jamz". In 2004 West's first album The College Dropout was released by Roc-A-Fella. It entered the Billboard 200 at number two. Five singles were released from the album. That year West started a record label called GOOD Music. John Legend is signed to the label. West was nominated for three American Music Awards.
In 2005 West's second album Late Registration was released. Five singles were released from the album. The second single "Gold Digger" was nominated for Record of the Year at the 2006 Grammy Awards. West was also nominated for Best New Artists. Other rappers on the album included Jay-Z, Ludacris, and Mos Def. In 2005 West released his first fashion line. West's third album Graduation was released in 2007. The album was nominated for eight Grammy Awards. Five singles were released from the album. The album's second single "Stronger" won a Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance.
In 2008, West's fourth album 808s & Heartbreak was released. The album was sung instead of rapped by West. It sold 450,145 copies in its first week. West acted in the 2008 movie The Love Guru.
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was released on Roc-A-Fella Records in 2010. Music critics gave it great reviews. Pitchfork gave the album a score of 10/10. Pitchfork rarely give 10/10, so this was a big achievement. Rolling Stone gave it five out of five stars. Four singles were released from the album.
On May 23, 2012 a short film made by West called Cruel Summer was shown for the first time at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival. The film was given good reviews. The film's name came from an album West released called Cruel Summer on his record label GOOD Music.
On June 18, 2013 West's sixth album Yeezus was released. The album got very good reviews from music critics. In November 2013 West gave a lecture at Harvard University. On November 15, 2013 Busta Rhymes' single "Thank You" was released. West rapped on it with Lil Wayne and Q-Tip. On November 24, 2013, West said in an interview that he is making his seventh album. "New Slaves" was nominated for Best Rap Song at the 2014 Grammy Awards. On June 27 2015, West headlined Glastonbury Festival 2015 to much controversy.
On February 14 2016, Kanye West released The Life of Pablo on Tidal, Jay-Z's online music service. On April 1, 2016, West released The Life Of Pablo on other music services, including Spotify, Apple Music, and Google Play Music.
West married Kim Kardashian in 2014. They have a daughter, North "Nori" West, who was born on June 15, 2013. They also have a son, Saint West, who was born on December 5, 2015. Their third child, daughter Chicago West, was born on January 15, 2018. They recently welcomed their fourth child, a son named Psalm West.
2020 presidential campaignEdit
In September 2015, West announced that he intends to run for President of the United States in 2020. He later implied on Twitter that he intends to run for President in 2024 due to Donald Trump's win in the 2016 election. On December 13, 2016, West met with President-elect Trump to discuss (according to West) "bullying, supporting teachers, modernizing curriculums, and violence in Chicago."
Kanye West has released 9 studio albums:
|2004||The College Dropout|
|2008||808s & Heartbreak|
|2010||My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy|
|2011||Watch The Throne|
|2016||The Life of Pablo|
|2018||Kids See Ghosts|
|2019||Jesus Is King|
- "Kanye West registered to run as a member of the self-formed "birthday party" in the 2020 Presidential Election".
- Miles, Frank (September 1, 2020). "Kanye West registered as Republican in Park County, WY, potentially blocking run as independent in Arizona". Fox News. Retrieved September 2, 2020.
- "Who Will Survive in America? Kanye West's Hybridization of Hip-Hop". Retrieved June 2, 2020.
- "2005 Grammy Award Winners". 14 February 2005. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "CNN.com - List of Grammy winners - Feb 9, 2006". Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "The domain www.gettingoutourdreams.com is registered by NetNames". Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Kanye and his mom shared special bond". tribunedigital-chicagotribune. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-01-19. Retrieved 2014-01-03.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Kanye West". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Kanye West, Amy Winehouse, Foo Fighters, Jay-Z, Justin Score Big Grammy Nominations". MTV News. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Kanye West: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Album Review - Pitchfork". Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- Rob Sheffield (25 November 2010). "Kanye West My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Album Review". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Kanye West Speaks at Harvard, Kim Kardashian Cheers on From Audience". Us Weekly. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- reedjackson (25 November 2013). "Kanye West Hopes To Have New Album Out By Summer". XXL Mag. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Grammy 2014 Snubs: Miley Cyrus Shut Out, Kanye West Comes Up Short, Lorde Lacks Best New Artist". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Kim Kardashian Is Engaged to Kanye West!". E! News. 21 October 2013. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Saint West". Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "MTV Music Awards 2015: Kanye West announces 2020 presidential candidacy". SMH.com. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- Zaru, Dee (September 5, 2015). "Kanye West declares 2020 presidential bid at VMAs". CNN. Retrieved October 29, 2015.
- Thompson, Arienne (September 25, 2015). "Guys, Kanye is serious about running for president in 2020". USA Today. Retrieved October 29, 2015.
- "Kanye West Talks Running For President In 2020". November 13, 2016.
- Vielma, Antonio José (December 13, 2016). "Kanye West reveals why he met with Trump, teases #2024". CNBC. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- Darcy, Oliver (December 13, 2016). "Kanye West caps off tweetstorm about meeting with Trump with cryptic '2024' tweet". Business Insider. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- Lawler, Kelly (December 13, 2016). "Kanye West visits Trump Tower". USA TODAY. Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- News, A. B. C. (December 13, 2016). "Kanye West Says He Discussed 'Multicultural Issues' With Trump". ABC News. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- Seipel, Brooke (July 4, 2020). "Kanye tweets he's running for president". The Hill. Retrieved July 4, 2020.
- @kanyewest (July 4, 2020). "We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am running for president of the United States 🇺🇸! #2020VISION" (Tweet). Retrieved July 4, 2020 – via Twitter. Template:TwitterSnowflake/datecheck
- Drury, Sharareh (July 4, 2020). "Kanye West Announces 2020 Presidential Run". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 5, 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kanye West.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Kanye West|
- Kanye Talk Archived 2014-11-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Kanye West at Rocafella Records
- Kanye West's iTunes Celebrity Playlist[permanent dead link]
- Kanye West at People.com
- Allmusic.com artist page
- Kanye West on IMDb
- Kanye West Tabs at Homemusician.net
- Tiny Mix Tapes on Kanye Archived 2008-06-20 at the Wayback Machine
- Kanye's new album, Graduation, at Power 105.1 - NYC