The Cable News Network (CNN) is a American cable news television channel. It was founded in 1980 by Ted Turner. The Cable News Network first aired on television on June 1, 1980. The Cable News Network's first newscast was anchored (hosted) by David Walker and his wife Lois Hart. In its first year CNN hired many political analysts, including Rowland Evans and Robert Novak. On January 1, 1982 CNN launched a 24-hour sister newscast channel with no talk shows or commentary shows called CNN2. CNN broadcasts programs from its headquarters at the CNN Center in Atlanta, or from the Time Warner Center in New York City, or from studios in Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles. CNN is owned by Time Warner, and the U.S. news channel is a part of the Turner Broadcasting System.
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
(downscaled to letterboxed 480i for the SDTV feed)
(WarnerMedia News & Sports)
|Launched||June 1, 1980|
|Available on every US cable provider||Channel slots vary on each operator|
|Bell Satellite TV (Canada)|
|Shaw Direct (Canada)|
|DirecTV Caribbean||Channel 702|
|Tata Sky (India)||Channel 631 (SD)|
|Bell Fibe TV (Canada)|
|Google Fiber||Channel 101|
|VMedia (Canada)||Channel 33 (HD)|
|Hulu with Live TV, Sling TV, YouTube TV|
|Sirius XM||Channel 115|
CNN has been criticized by the right-wing Media Research Center for having a left-wing bias. According to that same Center, it is less to the left than the news divisions of ABC, NBC, and CBS. It has been criticized by Arabs for having a pro-American bias.
- "The World's Most Trusted Name in News". warnermediamarketing.com. Retrieved January 11, 2021.
- "Channel List - Tata Sky" (PDF). Retrieved November 16, 2020.
- Reese Schonfeld Bio. Archived 2008-05-13 at the Wayback Machine (January 29, 2001) MeAndTed.com. Retrieved 2007-06-18.
- Charles Bierbauer, CNN senior Washington correspondent, discusses his 19-year career at CNN. (May 8, 2000). CNN.com. Retrieved 2007-06-18.
- CNN Press Room CNN's First Broadcast June 1, 1980 http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/01/cnns-first-broadcast-june-1-1980/
- The Telegraph May 16, 1981 On the Cable CNN is a 24 hour video newspaper by Tony Seideman https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2209&dat=19810516&id=P6krAAAAIBAJ&sjid=IP0FAAAAIBAJ&pg=4291,3826132
- Cable News to Air Sunday Associated Press May 29, 1980 https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19800529&id=v8gsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RhMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7138,6800547
- Turner, Ted; Burke, Bill (2008). Call Me Ted. Grand Central Publishing. p. 126. ISBN 978-0-446-54336-1.
- Worth Noting August 21, 1981 St. Petersburg Times https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19810821&id=8Z4oAAAAIBAJ&sjid=OnsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3119,5087088
- "Time Warner: Turner Broadcasting".
- Limbaugh, David. "Clinton News Network". Townhall.
- . Media Research Center http://www.mrc.org/biasalerts/clinton-news-network-cnn-promotes-clintons-surprising-pro-gay-marriage-op-ed. Missing or empty
- Anonymous (7 August 2001). "CyberAlert -- 08/07/2001 -- "Dazzled" by "Candid" Clinton". Media Research Center.
- http://jpupdates.com/2014/08/02/pro-palestinians-protest-outside-cnn-studios-bias-pro-israel-coverage-video/[permanent dead link]