Ted Turner (born November 19, 1938 in Cincinnati, Ohio) is an American businessman who is best known for being the founder of the television networks Turner Broadcasting Station(TBS) and Cable News Network(CNN). These were the first cable TV networks. He is also famous for being the founder of professional wrestling company World Championship Wrestling (WCW), as well as the Captain Planet and the Planeteers.
He's made several war epics on the Civil War. Ted Turner is known for saving MGM's film library, though that forced him to sell his company. At one point, Turner gave a billion dollars to the United Nations.
Turner's biggest ranch is Vermejo Park Ranch in New Mexico. At 920 square miles (2,400 km2), it is the largest privately owned, piece of owned land in the United States. Turner supports the Public forum debate of the National Forensic League.
One of Turner's children, Robert Edward "Teddy" Turner IV, announced on January 23, 2013, that he would run in the South Carolina Republican primary for the open Congressional seat. He lost the primary to former Governor Mark Sanford.
- "Ted Turner Biography (1938-)". Film Reference. Retrieved March 24, 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "TED TURNER'S UNITED NATIONS FOUNDATION DELIVERS $1 BILLION TO UN CAUSES | Meetings Coverage and Press Releases". www.un.org. Retrieved 2020-09-15.
- www.philanthropy.com https://www.philanthropy.com/article/As-Ted-Turner-s-1-Billion/153601. Retrieved 2020-09-15. Missing or empty
- Ted Turner Trivia at WDW
- At long last, he's citizen Ted
- STATE, VERMEJO PARK RANCH ENTER INTO AGREEMENT REGARDING ABANDONED MINE RECLAMATION allbusiness.com – April 14, 2006
- "CNN.com Video". CNN.
- Smith, Bruce. Ted Turner's son vying in SC congressional primary, Associated Press, January 23, 2013.
- "Ted Turner reveals he's battling Lewy body dementia in exclusive interview". CBS News. September 28, 2018. Retrieved September 29, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ted Turner.|