Ted Turner (born November 19, 1938 in Cincinnati, Ohio) is an American businessman who is best known for being the founder of the television networks Turner Broadcasting Station (TBS) and Cable News Network (CNN). These were the first cable TV networks. He is also famous for being the founder of professional wrestling company World Championship Wrestling (WCW), as well as the Captain Planet and the Planeteers.
Robert Edward Turner III
November 19, 1938
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
|Alma mater||Brown University|
|Occupation||Entrepreneur, television producer, media proprietor, philanthropist|
Julia Gale Nye
(m. 1960; div. 1964)
Jane Shirley Smith
(m. 1965; div. 1988)
(m. 1991; div. 2001)
|Parent(s)||Robert Edward Turner II (father) Florence Turner (mother)|
He's made several war epics on the Civil War. Ted Turner is known for saving MGM's film library, though that forced him to sell his company. At one point, Turner gave a billion dollars to the United Nations.
Ted Turner was once married to Jane Fonda. He was raised in Atlanta, Georgia and in Savannah, Georgia. Turner is the largest private landowner in the United States a total of 1.75 million acres.
Turner has bipolar disorder.
Turner's biggest ranch is Vermejo Park Ranch in New Mexico. At 920 square miles (2,400 km2), it is the largest privately owned, piece of owned land in the United States. Turner supports the Public forum debate of the National Forensic League.
In a television interview with Piers Morgan on May 3, 2012, Turner said he had four girlfriends. He then said that it was complicated but yet easier than being married.
One of Turner's children, Robert Edward "Teddy" Turner IV, announced on January 23, 2013, that he would run in the South Carolina Republican primary for the open Congressional seat. He lost the primary to former Governor Mark Sanford.
In September 2018, Turner announced that he was diagnosed with Lewy body dementia.
- ↑ "Ted Turner Biography (1938-)". Film Reference. Retrieved March 24, 2010.
- ↑ "TED TURNER'S UNITED NATIONS FOUNDATION DELIVERS $1 BILLION TO UN CAUSES | Meetings Coverage and Press Releases". www.un.org. Retrieved 2020-09-15.
- ↑ "As Ted Turner's $1-Billion Pledge Ends, U.N. Fund Seeks New Donors". www.philanthropy.com. Retrieved 2020-09-15.
- ↑ Ted Turner Trivia at WDW
- ↑ At long last, he's citizen Ted
- ↑ STATE, VERMEJO PARK RANCH ENTER INTO AGREEMENT REGARDING ABANDONED MINE RECLAMATION allbusiness.com – April 14, 2006[permanent dead link]
- ↑ "CNN.com Video". CNN.
- ↑ Smith, Bruce. Ted Turner's son vying in SC congressional primary, Associated Press, January 23, 2013.
- ↑ "Ted Turner reveals he's battling Lewy body dementia in exclusive interview". CBS News. September 28, 2018. Retrieved September 29, 2018.
- Official website
- Turner Foundation
- Ted Turner on IMDb
- Turner on Oprah Master Class, aired January 29, 2012 Archived September 1, 2013, at the Wayback Machine