Franca is a city in the state of São Paulo, in Brazil. In 2021, about 358,000 people lived there. The city is about 401 kilometres (249 mi) from São Paulo, the capital of the state. It is about 676 kilometres (420 mi) from Brasília.
Genti Meae Paulistae Fidelis (Latin)
|Founded by||John VI of Portugal|
|• Mayor||Alexandre Ferreira (2021 - 2024) (MDB)|
|• Municipality||606 km2 (234 sq mi)|
|• Metro||3,439.78 km2 (1,328.11 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,040 m (3,410 ft)|
|• Density||0.59/km2 (1.5/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-03:00 (BRT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-02:00 (BRST)|
|Area code||+55 16|
In Brazil, the city is known as "The National Capital of Footwear", and "The National Capital of Basketball".
Franca is the largest footwear producer in Brazil and Latin America. There are many medium and large industries. It is also known for the production of footwear components. The city houses reputed design centers intended for training new professionals to work in Brazil and abroad.
Franca is also traditionally connected to agriculture. It is located in the area of Alta Mogiana, one of the best coffee producing territories in the world, due to the abundance of purple soil, and favorable climate for cultivation.
The city houses a diversified industrial park, the production of metal, furniture, food, and beverage is very active. The industry of jewelry and diamond has been active for many years in Franca, placing the city as one of the largest diamond cutting centers in Brazil.
- IBGE 2021
- "IBGE atualiza a listagem dos municípios que integram os recortes territoriais brasileiros | IBGE". censos.ibge.gov.br (in Brazilian Portuguese). Archived from the original on 2022-09-20. Retrieved 2022-09-19.
- "Franca drops to 5th position of the best urban sanitation in Brazil, The city of Santos is leading".[permanent dead link]
- "Memorial: Veja lembranças de Mogi nas décadas de 50 e 60". opopularmm.com.br (in Brazilian Portuguese). 2015-12-12. Retrieved 2022-09-18.
- "Alta Mogiana:Coffee". Archived from the original on 2009-02-05. Retrieved 2023-01-14.
- "Diamantes e Franca". Archived from the original on 2022-09-21. Retrieved 2023-01-14.